Blue Ridge British Bike Rally 3 (9/21 & 22- 2018) - Triumph Bobber Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 8
Blue Ridge British Bike Rally 3 (9/21 & 22- 2018)

Blue Ridge British Bike Rally 3 Friday 9/21/18 through Saturday, 9/22/18
Rally start both days will be at Peaks of Otter Visitor center (NOT the lodge); milepost 86 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Kickstands up @ 10:00 A.M.

Sorry this took so long, guys & gals, but I had to struggle with either moving the date or just bypassing the Peaks of Otter Lodge. The thing is that POOL has been booked for several months with 2 weddings for the weekend of BRBBR3 (9/21/18 & 9/22/18). There are a few rooms left, but they will not be discounted (about $180/night). Very few stayed there last year anyway because of the price. I know that some of you have set aside the weekend, so rather than have me mess with the dates, just plan on staying in Bedford; about 12 miles away. It's MUCH cheaper, and closer to a bunch of restaurants.

Days Inn - 921 Blue Ridge Ave., {U.S. 460} Bedford VA 24523 (540)586-8286 will discount 15%
Rates include tax Mention Blue Ridge British Bike Rally:
Thursday, September 20: Queen: $44.20; King: $45.90; 2 Double: $54.40
Friday and Saturday, September 21 & 22; Queen: $73.95/night; King: $75.65/night; 2 Double: $84.15/night

Super 8 - 842 Sword Beach Ln., Bedford VA 24523; (540)587-0100; will discount rooms to $77.20/one king including tax or $88.23/ two queens including tax. Reserve by Aug/20/2018. Cancellations no later than 1 week prior. Rate includes continental breakfast, HBO, Showtime, Wi-Fi, microwave & refrigerator. Rates apply Wednesday night 9/19 through Sunday night 9/23.

<U><I><B>For my money, I'd use the Super 8</B></I></U> In either case, mention "Blue Ridge British Bike Rally" for these rates.

Bedford VA B&B's available also <Title:Link>Bedford Area Bed and Breakfasts and Vacation Home Rentals | Bedford VA Area B&B and vacation rentals National D-Day Memorial is only a couple miles from Days Inn & Super 8.
Variety of chain and independent restaurants in Bedford; only a mile or two east on U.S.460.
Camping available near Peaks of Otter visitor center; 1/4 mile from rally start.
This is some of the best riding east of the Mississippi River; curvy, hilly roads, mostly smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Ridge Pkwy 12.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	26077  

The ride might be fun, but in the end, it really is the destination that counts.
John 3:16
VABird is offline  
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 8
Here are some tentative routes. SO FAR, weather looks good for Friday, iffy for Saturday, but it's over a week away, and much can & will likely change. Stay tuned.
Ride 1: I like this on Friday, as the restaurant in the mountains at Paint Bank VA is pretty small. It is a favorite destination for bikers and will be very crowded if we do this on Saturday.

#2, 2A (2A is similar to 2, but shorter if folks prefer.) & 3 are options for Saturday. On the map, these appear to be on I-81, but there is a parallel road that we would be on. There are NO interstate roads on any of there rides.

One of my favorite rides in the area is #3, with great vistas, mostly smooth curvy roads. There is a buffet in Covington VA for this ride, so we don't spend too much time waiting to be seated & served.

KICKSTANDS UP BOTH DAYS AT 10:00 A.M. FROM VISITORS CENTER MILEPOST 86 ON BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY
PLAN 25-30 MINUTES FROM HOTELS IN BEDFORD.

Ride 1-196 miles; Ride 2-182 miles; Ride 2A-163 miles; Ride 3-189 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRBBR3 ride 1.png
Views:	40
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	27691   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRBBR3 ride 2.png
Views:	34
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	27693   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRBBR3 ride 2A.png
Views:	32
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	27695   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRBBR3 Ride 3.png
Views:	32
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	27697  

The ride might be fun, but in the end, it really is the destination that counts.
John 3:16
VABird is offline  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 8
There must've been some trees down north of Peaks of Otter, because that part of the BRP was still closed this morning. I pre-rode ride 3 (clockwise on map) today and it's all in good shape. By the time I made it back to BRP, it was all opened up, although a bit of debris on the roadway. But that's no big deal there.
As of now, The Weather Channel is showing a 40% rain chance for Friday, and 60% Saturday, and 60% Sunday for your return home. I've seen it downpour here when they said 10% and I've seen it sunny & beautiful when they said 80%, so bottom line is, unless it's <I>pouring</I>, I'll be there by 9:30 both days ready to lead the intrepid souls (or soul) that made the effort to come. It truly is great riding here, so if you don't live too far, I hope you make the effort to join in. I understand it may not worth the risk if you live too far. (I wimped out on BTB and regretted it.)

The ride might be fun, but in the end, it really is the destination that counts.
John 3:16
VABird is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome