is it like plastic surgery - Triumph Bobber Forum
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
tug

Garage
is it like plastic surgery

Now i know i may get some flack for this and i also know each to their own, but watching some of the transformations people are doing to the bobbers requires maybe knowing when to stop, (finding this hard to explain nicely), don't get me wrong some of the projects look fantastic and i love the results, but also i feel the Bobber should still look like a Bobber.

Again i know everybody has different tastes and that is a good thing but is it becoming additive to keep on going once you have achieved the look you want.

respect and regards

Tug

Common Sense is a flower
that does not grow in every ones garden.
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

You talking to me, pal?

tug and Ed_Bobber like this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
tug

Garage
Psychopasta congratulations on being the first one to bite

Common Sense is a flower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:40 AM
Roy

Garage
Or talking about me.....?

i'm still working on my longterm vision, not finished yet.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:46 AM

Tug's point is well taken. I make some changes to all my bikes in order to make them fit me better or handle better than the stock product. Most of us don't fit the ideal average that manufactures use when developing the design of the machines they sell. Cost is also a consideration when determining the parts and materials for the price point they think will sell the most product.
We the consumers have to decide which bike will be closest for our comfort, performance wanted and other requirements as well as the undefinable aesthetic appeal. When one decides to purchase the Bobber, there are some compromises we are willing to accept, such as no passenger accommodations, no storage, just a minimalist bike as a bobber's traditional history implies. When we try to make the Bobber something it isn't we wind up with unintended consequences.
It is my opinion that if a rider likes long rides and camping as Roy mentioned then perhaps the Bobber isn't the appropriate machine for the job.
It's not my intention to pick on Roy, he's having a lot of fun trying to transform his baby but I think he should have started with a different platform. Sorry Roy.

Chico
Johnny likes this.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
tug

Garage
Chico

I totally agree with making the bike your own but my main point is do you think it becomes addictive adding parts and not knowing when to stop, sometimes less is more, i have repainted a bike in the past with a custom paint job and liked it, but then looked at a standard paint scheme and preferred that.

Tug

Common Sense is a flower
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

If you think that someone has gone overboard with a Bobber, just take a look some of the chromed-out, lit-up, cringe worthy, moving discotheques people make from the Goldwings. It makes any Bobber look boring in comparison. But hey, to each their own!

The Bobber is a great platform to start on & the Speedmaster ever better (as it can carry a passenger and/or a higher payload).

I also agree that modding is exactly like cosmetic surgery; it can be done elegantly and with good taste. Or the needle can spin to the other end of the spectrum when it becomes an addiction.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:39 AM

So the examples are...
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:58 AM

Tug, you've hit on a very interesting topic!

Why do any of us buy the things we do: function, form, aesthetics, character, personal taste, income?
For the sake of my argument, I'd like to stick to Chico's term: 'platform'.

Keeping to the subject of motorcycles, many of us are fortunate enough to own several of them.
The Varadero I bought specifically for its two up touring and luggage carrying capabilities, and I have customised it specifically for that purpose: hard luggage, gel seat, crash bars, hugger, Scottoiler, tall windshield.
The Bobber I bought based mainly upon its character. Yes, I have added leather panniers because I like the thought of having somewhere to stash my jacket and gloves if I stop off on a warm day. Equally, I can pick up a pint or two of milk and the newspaper without having to wear a rucksack (which I hate). I've also added some bling, and performed a few mods just to make it more 'mine'.

I agree with you that some, in my opinion, have been very extravagant with their modifications, but why not! We all justify what we do based upon our very individual desires.
Maybe the Bobber is that ideal platform that allows us all to imbue it with our own identities!
In Roy's case, he only has one bike, so why not transform it to fit all of his requirements? He could have bought a Guzzi California, but he didn't, he wanted a Bobber!
eisen77, Great Black North and Roy like this.

Last edited by Johnny; 08-13-2019 at 05:01 AM.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
tug

Garage
Johnny,
I totally agree with you, and i wasn't pointing any finger at anyone, my real thoughts are the addictive side of adding to the bike or changing even after the bike has been perfected in the owner's eyes,
maybe pleasure is in buying more parts.

for me I get great pleasure in changing bikes, I change my bikes regularly, i have owned the bobber for two years now which is nearly a record. but i have also owned about 7 others in that time, some classic and some newish ones.
Johnny likes this.

Common Sense is a flower

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page