is it like plastic surgery - Page 3 - Triumph Bobber Forum
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 PM

Less is more....it's also cheaper!
tug likes this.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:00 PM
GPz

I agree, basically, but most of us have gone a bit overboard modifying something at one time or another, right? I am certainly guilty so I hate to judge others unless the results are particularly distasteful (or I'm taunting friends by pretending their mods are distasteful).

By the mid-80s I had spent more money keeping my 8-valve Kawasaki ahead of the 16-valvers than it would have taken to simply upgrade. But I had tons of fun doing the mods and certainly enjoyed the way my sleeper stunned so many street racing foes. It's also nice having something totally different than everything else. So lets vicariously enjoy how far the other folks go on their mods and be thankful it wasn't our wallets that took the punishment!

That reminds me, where is Trirocket3 with his latest dyno results?!!!

-GPz/Gary
Great Black North and Roy like this.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:03 PM
Roy

Garage
As mentioned in my earlier post, I think this is an interesting topic, which I have continued to ponder.

I know my bike has evolved beyond the Bobber concept and that is fine with me as I never bought the bike expecting it to be a 'bobber', as I saw the potential for the platform in creating my own vision.

However I do understand that for some any build can look a little OTT. I have certainly seen bikes that I've cringed at. I think, at least from my perspective, it's not about what you do (too much or too little) but how you do it. I tend not to like bikes that are just a miss-mash of parts with no rhyme or reason, this can easily be over done. But rather I think if a build has a specific goal or theme that the builder is attempting to create, then I find it hard to critique, as it's one builders 'vision'.

As for my own project, I have tried to keep this in mind, hence my continued efforts in regards attention to details; blacking out the bolts and in how the lines of the panniers run along the bike etc.

But as always 'each to their own' be it bike or opinions. But wanted to share some thoughts.

Cheerio,

Roy
Great Black North likes this.

Last edited by Roy; 08-14-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:30 AM

If the bikes weren’t meant to be modified then why do they offer a catalogue of parts and accessories? Aftermarket accessories are a major part of the industry’s profits and our common passion for this particular model. The Bobber is an excellent base for design and development thus giving us a canvas to our individuality and creativity. How boring would it be if we all kept our rides stock? Regardless of how many or few changes, release the artist within!!
Roy and Johnny like this.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
tug

Garage
The original question was not "weren't meant to be modified."

with respect
GPz likes this.

Common Sense is a flower
that does not grow in every ones garden.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:55 AM
GPz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz View Post
If the bikes weren’t meant to be modified then why do they offer a catalogue of parts and accessories? Aftermarket accessories are a major part of the industry’s profits and our common passion for this particular model. The Bobber is an excellent base for design and development thus giving us a canvas to our individuality and creativity. How boring would it be if we all kept our rides stock? Regardless of how many or few changes, release the artist within!!
Come on, let's be intellectually honest. Obviously the OP never said, or even implied, that "the bikes weren't meant to be modified."

-GPz/Gary
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:52 AM

Semantics!! I must have missed the point of the post?
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 PM
GPz

Knowing when to stop was the point.
Tom Tenore likes this.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:58 PM

Great! I’m glad somebody knows
Johnny likes this.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:38 AM

Addictive yes , cost effective no , but heII I enjoy every minuet of It . And when somebody runs over from the other end of a gas station and offers me 13k for my bike then I know It's all worth while .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page