Speedmaster? is it worth it? and other questions.... - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By eisen77
  • 1 Post By Guzzilazz
  • 1 Post By Bobber-Bomb
  • 2 Post By Rodders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Speedmaster? is it worth it? and other questions....

Hi guys I've been lurking for a while now. Thinking of getting myself a speedmaster, so I've been trying to pick up on some knowledge. I had a couple questions and wondering if anyone could chime in.

A) thoughts of going from a 2015 daytona 675 I got brand new has 16,000kms. To a brand new speed master?

B) I've seen some stuff on the speedmaster having tubed tires or tubeless and something about radial and I have no idea what I'm talking about and just wonder what it did have ? And why?

C) should I perhaps wait for the update like the way the black came out for the bobber?

.......oh yea and do I do it !?..is it worth it brand new $15800CAD otd?

Last edited by sid675; 04-27-2018 at 12:04 AM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

I think a very long test ride is in order - as moving from an out and out sports bike to a laid back, feel-good cruiser is quite a step.
Most people i know (including myself) moved away from cramped sports bikes mostly cause of comfort and day to day usability issues (yes, we´ve aged like a fine wine ) . And again, most of us went for (fast) trailies like the GS1200, KTM 1290 and Explorer 1200, etc.
Some opted for naked bikes like the BMW S1000R which is a ¨comfy¨ missile.

If you are ready to literally hang up the leathers and change your ¨riding mode¨then by all means I think the Speedmaster (or any modern classic) will give you alot of satisfaction and pleasure.
I still love looking at road/racing bikes and super nakeds, but have zero desire to own one anymore.
I´m a big fan of torque, low to mid range overtaking power and large displacement (cc) - and in that department the Bobber delivers in spades. And i´m sure the Speedmaster will be the same (i´ll confirm once i´ve tested one...)

I hope that helps your decision, but ultimately only you know what will suit you best.
Bobber-Bomb and sid675 like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:20 AM

Garage
Ok, I've ordered a Speedy... for knee reasons as mentioned elsewhere on this forum. My "main" riding over the last 20 years has been on big, what the US would call Sport Tourers... Two Kawasaki GTR1000's, Guzzi Norge, Guzzi Stelvio and thousands of miles - until the last 3-4 years when the knee kicked in. All 4 bikes were great, while I had the GTR's nothing else I rode thrilled me like my own bikes (examples include Ducati Multistrada, Aprilia Tuono, Honda ST1300 Pan). The I got on the Norge, and the way that hung together as a "total bike" was a revelation. 2 Years and 20k miles later met my wife and traded for the Stelvio because that was roomier for us to larger people. That also handled and did 4k miles in the first 4 months. It also handled (peg scraping around roundabouts)… However, despite quite a relaxed riding position, I've had to change to get a straighter knee.

Two weeks ago I rode a Speedmaster, not expecting much in the handling dept, as my experience of feet forward style is (generally) they fall into corners, and are ponderous to handle. Absolutely not... Here's a bike that is nimble and agile, and immediately I knew it was the bike for me.

Get a test ride, in the UK all dealers I've seen are running Speedmaster demos... the torque takes over from top end power... Also there are a number of video reviews on YouTube, and the sports oriented testers all praised the handling.
sid675 likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I'm test riding one in literally an hour and a half excited.

But same thing happened last year - went to test the 883 sportster and I was very very unwhellmed with its package. Slow. Very vibrating and just....mehhhhh. you buy it cause you like it. Not cause it's a good bike. I hope this wont be the same. My wallet Hope's it is the same. but I do thank the responders so far but do wish I had a little more Input from people who went from a well built sportbike to the bobber or speedmaster relating to the questions posed

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Last edited by sid675; 04-27-2018 at 03:15 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

I need something more practice than this but dont want to give up anything this bike offers maybe s1000r? But insurance is also a big deal.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid675 View Post
I need something more practice than this but dont want to give up anything this bike offers maybe s1000r? But insurance is also a big deal.

Where you going? 😱

Riding Free
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

I LOVED the speedmaster. But um having a hard time justifying trading my daytona that I got for $13,000 2 years ago plus $8000 on financing for the speedmaster. But this opened a new door for me realizing I love this type of bike. I discovered the thunderbird and I can buy a mint one for around 8-9 grand with about 15000kms on it. And keep my daytona also. Or sell it !

Any thoughts on this? I feel the Thunderbird is a more substantial bike. America? Older speedmaster?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
I LOVED the speedmaster. But um having a hard time justifying trading my daytona that I got for $13,000 2 years ago plus $8000 on financing for the speedmaster. But this opened a new door for me realizing I love this type of bike. I discovered the thunderbird and I can buy a mint one for around 8-9 grand with about 15000kms on it. And keep my daytona also. Or sell it !

Any thoughts on this? I feel the Thunderbird is a more substantial bike. America? Older speedmaster?

I think you’d miss your Daytona if you sold it. Only you can decide but for the money you’re talking about I’d keep it and buy a second hand modern classic to see whether you can really live with that sort of bike.
sid675 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:05 AM

Garage
Quote:

I bought the Bobber and kept my ZX12R. Now I walk into the garage in the morning and have both the devil and the angel on my shoulders arguing which bike I should take. If I feel like a cruise I throw a leg over the Bobber. If I'm feeling like more of a play the 12R comes out. I have the best of both worlds and am extremely glad that I didn't sell the sports bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 bikes small.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	21713  
ysoslo and sid675 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page