Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Gasoline 95 or 98?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Rocky 
#1 ·
What gasoline do you do in your Bobber? 95 or 98? Especially who has problems like me that turns off the engine to a minimum when crushing the clutch?

#2 ·
Hi Gila, My Bobber did cut only once on me while approaching a stop, just after bringing it 'on clutch' - never again. It was fairly new at the time with around 1000km's ODO. Just over 3500km's ODO now and always filling up with 95 over here in NZ. Only fill up with 98 when 95 is not available. Seems to be OK.

Achieved my lowest consumption last week-end (an easy Sunday ride) @ 3.9 l/100 - not too bad I think. Usually around the 4.1 - 4.4 l/100km range depending on traffic & ride style. Mine is not a garage queen and use it to commute, tour, and week-end blasts so consumption is not measured against the same routine riding.

#3 ·
I use 95. Mostly because 99% of the Spanish population would NOT fork out extra for premium fuel like 98 Super. So all the 98 is probably as old & stagnant as my great grandfather!
The bike runs smooth with BP 95 fuel.
I think BP have the highest quality fuel here in Mallorca, as opposed to Repsol or Cepsa.

#4 ·
Thank you for your answers. I also use 95 but now they told me to try to put 98 to see if the engine shutdown problem when I completely shut the Gas and pull the clutch, disappears. I do not think it will change but I try.
If someone who goes off the bike writes what gasoline we use maybe we can figure out something

#7 ·
Gilda let me add my two cents with respect to your engine quitting when you pull your clutch in. This happened to me twice about two months ago. Took my Bobber to the dealer and they ran a diagnostic and found nothing. It did not happen again for another few weeks. But here is what took place. I pulled my bike into my garage pulled the clutch in and the engine quit as it had done before. But this time I sat on my bike, started it with kick stand(side stand down) and then pulled it up, the bike quit running. I did this four consecutive times and the engine quit when I pulled the kick stand up.
Our motorcycles are equipped with an interlock system to prevent the motorcycle from being ridden with the kick stand in the down position. My problem was the engine quit when it was in the up position.
I called my dealer and they seem to think the sensor could be lose or faulty which could be a contributing factor to causing my engine to quit when it does as I have described.
I have an appointment with the dealer next week and will let you know what I find out. Sorry for the lengthy post but wanted to let you know my experience and if we are lucky the culprit could be this kick stand sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.