Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Not a Triumph Problem

8K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  eisen77 
#1 ·
This is not a Triumph problem. It is a "me" problem. I can't keep my big foot off of the rear brake. :frown2: The bike will seem a bit sluggish and I will look down and see that my foot is resting on the brake. I've been riding for 40+ years and I only have this problem with Triumphs (Bonneville, Scrambler and Bobber). I never rode the brake when I was ridding a BMW or a Ducati. Any tips or suggestions? :|

#4 ·
Generally speaking you shouldn’t be riding with the arch of your foot on the peg unless you are intentionally covering the rear brake.
I’m not sure if it’s possible, but can you perhaps lower the rear brake pedal so it’s angled further away from your foot ?
As SXTONY said, the balls of your feet should be on the peg weighing it down, but if your can’t get used to that position then changing the angle of the lever may be your best bet.

#7 ·
I have US Mens size 16 feet, never had an issue with hitting the brakes accidentally on any bike...

I'm assuming this is a troll thread, but you could just but your heel on the peg and angle your foot slightly to the right, instead of what you're doing which is resting your foot on the brake pedal anyways (which seems silly to do).

#8 ·
Nope. Not a troll thread. I own a Bobber and I've been on this forum a long time with over 900 posts.

My problem is that I am used to riding sport bikes (Ducati) or sport/touring bikes (BMW). With those bikes my feet were slightly behind me and therefore my feet pointed downward automatically. I never touched the foot brake. With a cruiser style bike my riding position is more "sit up and beg" and my feet are slightly in front of me and for me that gives me a tendency to put my feet on the brake. (I have owned 20 motorcycles in my lifetime. The Bobber is the first that is anywhere close to a cruiser so my riding style has really changed and I'm not used to it.)

Besides, I'm an old fart (73) and I don't feel as much with my feet as I used to. (Again, I am not trolling.) So my feet can be resting on the brake without me knowing it.

I was just looking for some tips. Sorry I bothered anyone.

#10 ·
Apologies for coming across rude/bothered, I assumed incorrectly.

I'd just try what I said, let your heel/back middle part of your foot rest on the peg, and your toes to the side of the lever. Making the conscious effort to not rest it on the lever.

Or if you don't like that, try putting your foot like you're on a sport bike with rear sets, more of the middle/front middle part of your foot on the peg, and that way is nowhere near the lever and can easily move when you want to hit the rear brake.

#11 ·
I simply adjusted the angle of the brake lever downward. Sometimes I put the ball of my foot on the pegs and sometimes my arch. The foot peg location is a bit odd on the Bobber and I like to vary positions when riding. On a side note, I always adjust handlebars, clutch, brake and shift levers for comfort on my bikes.

#21 ·
I don’t mean to be personal, but are you pigeon-toed? After reading this thread, I was looking at my foot position on the pegs whilst riding and I have both feet approximately 25 degrees from vertical meaning my right foot ain’t even touching the brake lever unless I want to.

I tried riding with my right foot covering the brake but it became an effort after a while.

#22 ·
I know what you mean, the foot position and seating position feel cruiser-like, and one is tempted place one's feet appropriately, which is rigth over the pedals for some of us. I sometimes do it without actually touching the brake pedal, and sometimes shift back to ball of foot on peg, as others suggest. But I hear you..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.