Not a Triumph Problem - Triumph Bobber Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Not a Triumph Problem

This is not a Triumph problem. It is a "me" problem. I can't keep my big foot off of the rear brake. The bike will seem a bit sluggish and I will look down and see that my foot is resting on the brake. I've been riding for 40+ years and I only have this problem with Triumphs (Bonneville, Scrambler and Bobber). I never rode the brake when I was ridding a BMW or a Ducati. Any tips or suggestions?

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Take your foot off the brake
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Put the ball of your foot on the peg rather than your arch/heel possibly?
eisen77 and Burn619 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Generally speaking you shouldnít be riding with the arch of your foot on the peg unless you are intentionally covering the rear brake.
Iím not sure if itís possible, but can you perhaps lower the rear brake pedal so itís angled further away from your foot ?
As SXTONY said, the balls of your feet should be on the peg weighing it down, but if your canít get used to that position then changing the angle of the lever may be your best bet.
gfspencer likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Take your foot off the brake
Gosh. Why didn't I think of that?
Psychopasta likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 PM

You can Swing the lever around I believe which would mean that you could rest your foot on the pedal without braking

My 5Ę
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:58 PM

I have US Mens size 16 feet, never had an issue with hitting the brakes accidentally on any bike...

I'm assuming this is a troll thread, but you could just but your heel on the peg and angle your foot slightly to the right, instead of what you're doing which is resting your foot on the brake pedal anyways (which seems silly to do).
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFrench View Post
I have US Mens size 16 feet, never had an issue with hitting the brakes accidentally on any bike...

I'm assuming this is a troll thread, but you could just but your heel on the peg and angle your foot slightly to the right, instead of what you're doing which is resting your foot on the brake pedal anyways (which seems silly to do).
Nope. Not a troll thread. I own a Bobber and I've been on this forum a long time with over 900 posts.

My problem is that I am used to riding sport bikes (Ducati) or sport/touring bikes (BMW). With those bikes my feet were slightly behind me and therefore my feet pointed downward automatically. I never touched the foot brake. With a cruiser style bike my riding position is more "sit up and beg" and my feet are slightly in front of me and for me that gives me a tendency to put my feet on the brake. (I have owned 20 motorcycles in my lifetime. The Bobber is the first that is anywhere close to a cruiser so my riding style has really changed and I'm not used to it.)

Besides, I'm an old fart (73) and I don't feel as much with my feet as I used to. (Again, I am not trolling.) So my feet can be resting on the brake without me knowing it.

I was just looking for some tips. Sorry I bothered anyone.
CaptainFrench likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:44 PM

On the side of the gearshift if you support the front part the foot , tap the support level. It is uncomfortable.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Apologies for coming across rude/bothered, I assumed incorrectly.

I'd just try what I said, let your heel/back middle part of your foot rest on the peg, and your toes to the side of the lever. Making the conscious effort to not rest it on the lever.

Or if you don't like that, try putting your foot like you're on a sport bike with rear sets, more of the middle/front middle part of your foot on the peg, and that way is nowhere near the lever and can easily move when you want to hit the rear brake.
gfspencer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page