Not a Triumph Problem - Page 3 - Triumph Bobber Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
This is not a Triumph problem. It is a "me" problem. I can't keep my big foot off of the rear brake. The bike will seem a bit sluggish and I will look down and see that my foot is resting on the brake. I've been riding for 40+ years and I only have this problem with Triumphs (Bonneville, Scrambler and Bobber). I never rode the brake when I was ridding a BMW or a Ducati. Any tips or suggestions?
I donít mean to be personal, but are you pigeon-toed? After reading this thread, I was looking at my foot position on the pegs whilst riding and I have both feet approximately 25 degrees from vertical meaning my right foot ainít even touching the brake lever unless I want to.

I tried riding with my right foot covering the brake but it became an effort after a while.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:11 PM

I know what you mean, the foot position and seating position feel cruiser-like, and one is tempted place one's feet appropriately, which is rigth over the pedals for some of us. I sometimes do it without actually touching the brake pedal, and sometimes shift back to ball of foot on peg, as others suggest. But I hear you..
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post
I donít mean to be personal, but are you pigeon-toed? After reading this thread, I was looking at my foot position on the pegs whilst riding and I have both feet approximately 25 degrees from vertical meaning my right foot ainít even touching the brake lever unless I want to.

I tried riding with my right foot covering the brake but it became an effort after a while.
Nope. I have a normal gate.

The more I look and read the more I think that the brake pedal is set too high. I need to figure out how to lower it. Maybe that will probably be my project for today.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Loosen bolt, mark spline and lever then pull it off and rotate it down 1 notch, reinstall in reverse order.
ysoslo and gfspencer like this.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Nope. I have a normal gate.

The more I look and read the more I think that the brake pedal is set too high. I need to figure out how to lower it. Maybe that will probably be my project for today.
Looking at one of your other posts I see you have your seat fully forward, have you tried it all the way back?

I know it's only a couple of inches but as the actress said to the bishop it's amazing what a difference it makes and maybe it would make it more natural for you to ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs?
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
Looking at one of your other posts I see you have your seat fully forward, have you tried it all the way back?
That's a thought. I'll try it.
Bobber-Bomb likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
That's a thought. I'll try it.
One problem I had when I first got the Bobber was that whenever I went to put my feet down at junctions (being over 6ft and having long legs) the pegs were always in the way. OK, because the Bobber's so low it wasn't that big a deal as I could easily put my feet out wide but it was something I wasn't used to, as on the sports bikes I've ridden the pegs were always behind and on my old Harley they were in front.

So for the first few months I just put up with it as a minor irritation until I found the solution quiet by accident. I swapped the stock seat for Triumph's own quilted one (because I preferred the look) this was more of a change than I expected as the profile is much flatter and it really didn't work for me in the stock fully forward position. So in desperation I slid it back a WOW what a difference it made. It not only worked a treat in terms of seat comfort but it also put me a couple of inches further back, which meant the pegs were a little bit further forward, so now I could put my feet straight down. Happy days

Moving the seat alone might not solve all your issues but it's worth a go...good luck!
gfspencer likes this.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
Moving the seat alone might not solve all your issues but it's worth a go...good luck!
I need a Happy Dance GIF here. Moving the seat back worked! I went for a nice long ride. My right foot did not touch the brake once unless I wanted it to AND when I pulled up to a stop and planted my feet they did not hit the pegs. Thanks, everyone!

Triumph Bobber Black
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

You just know that I canít resist a GIF request

(& @jerrman knows it....! )

gfspencer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page