Odd knock/jiggle/bang/wobble.....? - Page 2 - Triumph Bobber Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi @apico ,

Welcome to the forum mate.

I'm no mechanic or expert but I feel these modern bikes with all their gizmos are a totally different animal to the old bikes and if all is correct and as it should be, there should be no problem at all on a brand new bike.

For the most part my Triumph has run like a proverbial Swiss watch from the day I road it home. Any issue at all and the bike should be taken back immediately to the dealer. These are sophisticated machines these days and should run beautifully.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi @apico ,

Welcome to the forum mate.

I'm no mechanic or expert but I feel these modern bikes with all their gizmos are a totally different animal to the old bikes and if all is correct and as it should be, there should be no problem at all on a brand new bike.

For the most part my Triumph has run like a proverbial Swiss watch from the day I road it home. Any issue at all and the bike should be taken back immediately to the dealer. These are sophisticated machines these days and should run beautifully.

Cheerio,

Roy
Got it! Thanks, Roy!
Roy likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Update

Hi,
I carefully double checked every nut and bolt on the bike over the weekend and started doing some experimentation.
Firstly I went and test rode a brand new Bobber with 350 miles on the clock.........and it did the same!! (all be it to a lesser extent....)

So, all I can assume is this is something the Bobber does! and if someone, somewhere can explain to me what I'm feeling, I'll walk/ride away happy!

During my tests I discovered something very interesting - the feeling through the pegs only happens when the engine is running. I rolled down a bumpy hill a couple of times with the engine off and couldn't feel anything. Engine running on (both in gear and out) same bit of road - feeling is back.

I'll try again to explain again (before you all click away bored with a bloke who obviously has 'issues'!)

If you could just indulge me here. Please, next time your rolling at walking pace in a carpark, stamp down hard a few times on one of the footpegs. Either that or ride slowly over a bumpy patch of road, preferably on a slight bend.
What do you feel? - something through the pegs that feels like something almost 'sprung' moving about/wobbling. i.e. Stamp hard, oscillations of wobble at greatest, second or so later oscillations have diminished, then gone?
It's there (on both bikes) not in my mind, and it brings me back to the mechanic at the dealer who said 'they all feel like that sir' (but couldn't explain why). If it only happens with engine is running implies it's not suspension components but something that changes when the engine is running - gearbox/clutch/injectors/airbox
So WHAT THE **** IS IT?!?
p.s. I know many of you probably just want to write something like 'just enjoy riding the f*cking thing you ****!' I understand, but it's really affecting my enjoyment. I'm reasonably mechanically savvy/sympathetic and an unexplained vibration/movement or noise really bugs me. Almost at the point of getting in touch with Triumph themselves.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlHacking View Post
Please, next time your rolling at walking pace in a carpark, stamp down hard a few times on one of the footpegs. Either that or ride slowly over a bumpy patch of road, preferably on a slight bend.
What do you feel? - something through the pegs that feels like something almost 'sprung' moving about/wobbling. i.e. Stamp hard, oscillations of wobble at greatest, second or so later oscillations have diminished, then gone?
I'll give it a go and report back.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks mate!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Hi Johnny, Did you get a chance to give it a go? Any thoughts?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:38 AM

I had similar concerns... I think it’s the sidestand bouncing slightly, noticed it most on the left side 👍🏻
muensterDeath likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Not yet Al. I planned to go out on Sunday for a ride, and give your suspicions a test, but (long story) my wife suggested that I add a yoga move to my morning exercises...it completely stuffed up my back! Blimey, that makes me sound old...

It's just been chucking it down here, but I do plan to get out tomorrow evening so I'll give it a go then...got some new mirrors to test out too.

I've just read the comment from Whitetrash. If it is your sidestand, it certainly isn't on my bike. I've just had a look and that spring would hold up an anchor over any kind of bump.

I have a suspicion that it might be lateral chain movement...I'll keep you posted.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I've been meditating on the issue. I think the best thing is to rule out the kickstand. Use a zip-tie (or just tie it off) to secure the kickstand to the frame, keeping it from moving. You should be able to do this while sitting on the bike. Take it for a ride and try to replicate it. If it still does it, then you know what it isn't.

Spitballing because I really just don't know - but one thing that has me puzzled is that the bike does NOT seem to do it with the engine off. Perhaps (just perhaps) it could have something to do with the engine mounting? I know some bikes use the engine as a stress member and are mounted directly to the frame. If there are any loose mounting bolts, it's possible that the engine is shifting a bit under torque conditions and causing the bump. If the Triumph engine is mounted with any rubber bushing (again, I don't know), it's possible it could be a bad mount. Or, I may just be overthinking it. You may have already checked the bolts that mount the frame/engine and they are fine. If so, another box to check off.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:38 AM

The wobble has revealed it's true identity. I now know what it is!!!

It is....Uncle Bulgaria!

All together now...

"Underground, overground
Wombling free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we..."

I'm afraid that only those of a certain age will get that joke!

On a serious note, I have discovered what's going on. More very shortly...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uncle Bulgaria.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	36549  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page