• 2 Post By kilyung
  • 1 Post By derchef62
  • 1 Post By DOCGSS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Steering lock issues

Morning all

Has anyone had issues with the steering lock not letting go of the key when engaged. The last few times I've tried to use it, the lock seems to turn smoothly enough but is reluctant to release the key. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes to get the key out but this morning I simply couldn't pull the key out at all. I was at work when this happened and have a CCTV monitored courtyard that the bike is kept in but it's something I normally do when out and about.

I will give it a dose of WD40 later see if this helps but any experience or advice gratefully received.

Cheers, Ed

Mainly asking questions out of stupidity since 2017
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 AM

I’ve always used a #2 pencil and razor then shaved some of the end (graphite) and put the shavings into the keyhole. I was taught to only use powdered graphite to lubricate lock cylinders. Liquids will only attract more gunk.
Great Black North and Roy like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Iíve always used a #2 pencil and razor then shaved some of the end (graphite) and put the shavings into the keyhole. I was taught to only use powdered graphite to lubricate lock cylinders. Liquids will only attract more gunk.
Interesting, I'll give that a go.

Mainly asking questions out of stupidity since 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:44 AM

you can use silicone based spray on the lock, what kilyung says goes for any oil based lube as this is like jelly after some time so in the old days locks were always with graphite nowadays you can use othe things.

BTW: they had to change my lock as the ignition lock barrel had a crack so both locks had to go. It took the Triumph dealer about 2 hrs to get the steering lock as the instructions from Triumph were completely wrong...well that's at least how they justified the time it took them to get the job done.
Ed_Bobber likes this.

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:49 PM

Graphite as a Lock Lubricant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Iíve always used a #2 pencil and razor then shaved some of the end (graphite) and put the shavings into the keyhole. I was taught to only use powdered graphite to lubricate lock cylinders. Liquids will only attract more gunk.

I checked this out years ago with my locksmith, as I had been told the same thing, and I got a resounding whoa!

They indicated that graphite works well only in low humidity environments, so it might be fine in the winter and then in the summer "gum up" and clump when it gets humid. They recommended Houdini which is an all season lock specific lubricant. I have used it for years with outstanding results.
eisen77 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCGSS View Post
I checked this out years ago with my locksmith, as I had been told the same thing, and I got a resounding whoa!

They indicated that graphite works well only in low humidity environments, so it might be fine in the winter and then in the summer "gum up" and clump when it gets humid. They recommended Houdini which is an all season lock specific lubricant. I have used it for years with outstanding results.
Personally I have used graphite for quite a while in off-road vehicles that are road registered and therefore have locks for when you fancy driving a winch truck to the local shopping mall

I canít comment on climate affects but am sure mud and grit play a part which the graphite seems to have no issue with given I clean these with a hot jet wash !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4CA8661D-71A4-4E09-9E50-A601C55DC0A9.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	35827  

a juicy red apple is nice... but not every apple is red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page