• 2 Post By muensterDeath
  • 2 Post By muensterDeath
  • 1 Post By Bonnie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Basic performance upgrades

Hi all,

Ahead of taking delivery of my Bobber Black, I’ve been putting all sorts of lists together containing my plans for the bike. Until now I’ve been working on the cosmetic side of things but it would also be good to build my knowledge base on the performance side also.

I have a background/history of building race cars over the years so understand the principles of tuning but I’ve never actually worked on a bike.

I assume basic breathing mods are a good place to started... more air in, gases quickly out. What do you guys recommend and what’s been working for you so far?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The concept remains the same as a car I would think, however there is a mixed back of folks on the forum who feel the bolt ons don't really do much, and some that feel they do.

Some have done Xpipe and Exhaust.
Some if done intake, Xpipe and Exhaust
Some have done just pipes.

One member has done headers and pipes (that I can recall)

All of the above may help with performance, but overall would only likely eek out a small to a little larger than small number of HP/TQ.

Now, there is a gentleman on here who has done (I believe), headwork and new cam (possible tune?), and he saw some very tasty gains. Like up to or over 100hp total!

Some have also done the Booster Plug to help richen the fuel for low speed throttle control and remove exhaust farting on deceleration, and a couple have done belt drive conversion which also smoothed out the power delivery some.

Other than some serious work like Pasta has noted, all the bolt ons will only get you so far. Still enjoyable to do them and I feel they do add a little more motor performance.
Psychopasta and Mike J Commo like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers for that...

I did happen to read about the guys efforts with the headwork and cams... 109 @ the hubs apparently which really is a significant increase. However Iím not convinced it wouldnít be an overkill for my needs and I certainly wouldnít want to be one of the first into those experimental waters when it comes to how well received such increases will be by the drivetrain etc.

I was more so thinking about basic bolt onís... if they yield a little more power then great but in my experience the gains are never fully realised unless the map is fully optimised and Iím certainly not wanting to open that can of costly worms of standalone ecuís... unless of course the standard ecu is reprogrammable?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Cheers for that...

I did happen to read about the guys efforts with the headwork and cams... 109 @ the hubs apparently which really is a significant increase. However Iím not convinced it wouldnít be an overkill for my needs and I certainly wouldnít want to be one of the first into those experimental waters when it comes to how well received such increases will be by the drivetrain etc.

I was more so thinking about basic bolt onís... if they yield a little more power then great but in my experience the gains are never fully realised unless the map is fully optimised and Iím certainly not wanting to open that can of costly worms of standalone ecuís... unless of course the standard ecu is reprogrammable?!
I think the ECU at some point will be probably, just don't think it's on the market yet (re-maps).

There have been a couple folk that were about to fit or did fit Power Commanders. Suggest a seach on that one.

For me, even if I only eek out a bit extra from the motor with bolt ons, I like it. Changing it and farkking is fun! Should be sing my new pipes in the mail soon...
Psychopasta and Mike J Commo like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:27 AM

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Bloody **** that would be insane... just imagine the whine of the thing on full throttle!

However @ 0.4 bar of boost... Iím not sure Iíd want to run that with the standard pistons and Iíd also be a little concerned about the gearbox shitting itself!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Garage
Well the bobber is the HT version of the engine so it may handle the stresses a bit better than the Thruxton lump, If i had a spare 4k to toss about i'd think about it, although my insurance company would probably have hysterics.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Ooooohhh, I can really see that on a Bobber:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8_large.png
Views:	183
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	17234  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:08 PM

There was a bloke on this forum claimed an astonishing 50% hike in power on his Bobber with a some upgrades. Canít remember his name offhand, but it was very impressive (perhaps a little TOO impressive!).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page