Booster Plug "2-wire"? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Booster Plug "2-wire"?

Went to Home Depot and AutoZone today looking for "2-wire" to extend the Booster Plug sensor. No help from the staff.

All I saw was wire gauges, and 2 was huge, which wouldn't be right....I did see "#2 THHM wire", but also seemed to large.

Any insight to which it should be?
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Went to Home Depot and AutoZone today looking for "2-wire" to extend the Booster Plug sensor. No help from the staff.

All I saw was wire gauges, and 2 was huge, which wouldn't be right....I did see "#2 THHM wire", but also seemed to large.

Any insight to which it should be?
I don´t think it needs to be anything special. I would just use a bit of thin speaker cable, maybe 2x 0.5mm or something like that...

Doesn´t matter what you ride... just ride!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:03 PM

Garage
The Boosterplug factory wire is around 18ga stranded or maybe even as thin as 20ga stranded. I used 16ga to extend mine and it was definitely bigger than the BP wire.

"2-wire" sounds more like house electrical wiring that's a solid core (one thick metal wire) vs the 18 or 20ga stranded wire that's a single wire that has a bunch of really thin wires twisted together inside the insulation on the wiring.

Last edited by ysoslo; 02-25-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks, gents. So sounds like anything close to the existing wire size that is flexible will work.

I wasn't sure if I cut the wire open it would have more than just a core.

Cheers!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 06:51 PM

I'm also in a hunt for wire to extend the Booster Plug. Per ysoslo, the original wiring appears to be 20 gauge stranded. 20-16 AWG will work fine.

I was considering using 18 or 20 gauge speaker wire, but was somewhat concerned that the temperature specs on the PVC jacket insulation for speaker wiring is too low to be routed near hot engine parts. As my bike is in storage, I can't look at the wiring route to determine if this would be a factor. If so, high temperature automotive wiring similar to the wire on the Booster Plug would be required.

As ysoslo (and potentially others) have used standard speaker wire to extend the Booster Plug, high temp automotive wiring may be overkill.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I'm also in a hunt for wire to extend the Booster Plug. Per ysoslo, the original wiring appears to be 20 gauge stranded. 20-16 AWG will work fine.

I was considering using 18 or 20 gauge speaker wire, but was somewhat concerned that the temperature specs on the PVC jacket insulation for speaker wiring is too low to be routed near hot engine parts. As my bike is in storage, I can't look at the wiring route to determine if this would be a factor. If so, high temperature automotive wiring similar to the wire on the Booster Plug would be required.

As ysoslo (and potentially others) have used standard speaker wire to extend the Booster Plug, high temp automotive wiring may be overkill.
I'd rather go with some high temp wire just to be sure. Rather overkill than a melt through.

When I went into Autozone asking for #2 wire, they handed me 2 guage, which is for battery terminals.....haha, sorry homies, not what I needed.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 PM

Garage
I used speaker wire and so far it is good, time will tell. The good thing is, if it causes issues out on the road, it is easy to just pull the plugs and put it back to stock. I routed mine behind then over the fuel injection unit then along the hose that runs along the left side of the fuel tank so it's not subjected to very much heat. For additional protection, I covered the entire length of the wire in 2 layers of heat shrink tube.
MikeB likes this.

2018 Triumph Bobber with Triumph brown quilted seat, BC Sleeper Pros, Booster Plug, leather fork bag
2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2006 Harley Roadking

Last edited by Bikerdib; 02-25-2018 at 07:06 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
I'd rather go with some high temp wire just to be sure. Rather overkill than a melt through.
That's my thought as well. I've found some 2-conductor 18 gauge automotive wire, but its jacket is grey. I could wrap it in black heat shrink, but I've got a couple of months until my bike is on the road so I think that I'll keep looking.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for all the responses. Will look for ~20 gauge stranded black automotive grade.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:13 PM

Garage
If anyone finds some 20 gauge automotive, post here. I didn't really want to use speaker wire but it is all I could find locally.

2018 Triumph Bobber with Triumph brown quilted seat, BC Sleeper Pros, Booster Plug, leather fork bag
2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2006 Harley Roadking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page