Performance Cam profile or USA vendor? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Performance Cam profile or USA vendor?

After trying to figure out how to get a cam from TecBike for the last couple months it seems like that's not going to happen so I was wondering if anyone knows a US vendor of a performance cam or has a cam profile they would be willing to share that I could have one ground to spec?
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM

I have sent you info in a pm.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM
GPz

Let me ask a question. And I mean absolutely no disrespect here. After all, I have personally concocted some of the most hair-brained, fire-breathing and non-streetable motorcycle modifications in hillbilly history.

If you want hot cams in a Bobber, wouldn't it be wise to consider just buying the factory Thruxton-R cams? I mean, what reputable company is going to invest any real R&D time in developing cams for a bike they'll be lucky to ever sell 40 sets of cams for? Where's the profit in that? Do you really think Tec or some other small-potatoes company is going to do anything more than add a little lift and duration based on an educated guess and ship it? Are these amateur-designed cams going to function well in the long run with your factory valve springs and rockers? Who's going to do the testing to determine that? YOU are, that's who. And for what? I mean, how much more horsepower than a Thruxton-R are you really going to be able to squeeze out of your Bobber motor without adversely affecting durability and/or how smooth the power curve is? How much low end torque are you going to lose? And if the surface finish on the bearing journals isn't smooth enough, or the cams aren't properly toleranced or heat-treated and they ruin your head in a year or two, do you think Billy-Bob Inc. is going to buy you a new head?

Learn from my foolishness and misguided horsepower lust. I was the guinea pig on a professionally installed Wiseco forged big-bore kit that barely lasted thru break-in and they quit making rings for it a year later anyway, so I had to throw my cylinder bank in the scrap barrel and start over. I once bought eight Moriwaki valves for my Kawasaki that cost more than 16 Manley valves for a 427 Chevy Rat motor. I paid Jerry Branch, arguably the best motorcycle head man who ever lived (and formerly Elvis Presley's personal bike mechanic), to install them, and port and flow the head. When Jerry got them he called me and asked, "Who the h*ll designed these valves, some retard?" There was literally no way to fit them into the head for which they were supposedly designed without physical interference (both with each other, and with the pistons!). I returned the valves to Moriwaki and they refused to refund my money or make valves that fit. Old man Moriwaki said Jerry was not qualified to evaluate their valve design. ("He nah kwawifi to say").

PS: Trirocket-3, I absolutely LOVE your crazy sh!t so please totally disregard this and keep posting about your experiments. If your Bobber motor explodes between your knees, start a GoFundMe and I will chip-in.

-GPz/Gary
Psychopasta and Guffer like this.

Last edited by GPz; 06-04-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All fair points. Is there anything else that needs to be done to swap a TTR cam in to the bobber? Any idea How much would that increase power all else being equal? Sure seems like the easy way to some more power. Not all that much fun, but easier and more reliable for sure.

As to why I want to do it the hard way? Well I suppose thatís because Iím still young enough and stubborn enough to want to do my own foolish things. That and Ive been taking a break from drinking the last couple months and donít have anything else to do with my money to keep me entertained.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogan.mcgillis View Post
Ive been taking a break from drinking the last couple months and don’t have anything else to do with my money to keep me entertained.
LOL! Been there, done that! Ended up with a watch collection as a result. Hahaha.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 AM

TTR cam is the same as Bobber
My latest cam is going into my Speed Twin today, but will not dyno it straight away as am waiting for new PCV to arrive.

Last edited by trirocket3; 06-05-2019 at 01:29 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:46 AM
GPz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trirocket3 View Post
TTR cam is the same as Bobber
My latest cam is going into my Speed Twin today, but will not dyno it straight away as am waiting for new PCV to arrive.
Trirocket3: TTR cams are identical to the Bobber's? Then what explains the dramatically different maximum horsepower and power/torque curves? Even porting, polishing and flowing the TTR head can not account the different performance characteristics. Surely the 11:1 vs 10:1 compression ratio factors in, but there has to be something more dramatic going on than just better flowing heads and higher compression to explain the dramatically different engine personalities. I hope I'm wrong. Because if I am, then I'm going to do some head work and claim my extra 20 HP!

-GPz/Gary
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 AM
GPz

Trirocket3 is right about the cams being the same on the Bobber and TTR. I just looked it up and both use ass'y number T1147025.

Sorry for my erroneous assumption but it is pretty exciting news to those of us who might want to turn our Bobber motors into TTR motors with factory reliability and durability.

Please share info on whatever else might be necessary to make this conversion.

-GPz/Gary
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:38 PM
GPz

Come on, I want my extra 20 ponies!!

-GPz/Gary
Forjox likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post
Come on, I want my extra 20 ponies!! -GPz/Gary
The main difference is as you said compression, head off, flow/skim + cam = probably 5 rwhp more than the TTR, stock bobber air filters restrict after that.
Over the next couple of weeks I will be looking into combustion chamber dimensions & volumes of both heads to try & establish how much can be removed from the bobber head
to bring it up to similar spec to the TTR hopefully without the unfortunate side effect of piston/valve contact, which could be a trifle inconvenient.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page