Reputable chain lube - Triumph Bobber Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Reputable chain lube

I am used to dirt bikes and generally just use what is at the local dbike store. But what chain lube is reputable for a street bike? What are you guys using? Something that sticks well and doesn't spin off still after being wiped...

Seems we have to lube the chain every 200 miles then let it sit for 8 hours.
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

I use WURTH lube.
Has very little/no spin off (the bits you can see on the frame are from my half arsed way of spraying on the lube....)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Automotiv...mls/B001MQ035I

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:07 PM

WURTH lube seems to be an overall great product, just gotta make sure to give the chain a good cleaning too and do so regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Not seeing WURTH chain lube on Amazon in the US. Lots of their other products but no chain lube. Unless I missed it, appears it's not offered here. Only way would be to order off eBay and have it shipped from the UK.

There has to be a reputable brand here....thoughts?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks like DuPonts Teflon chain saver gets some really good reviews. I'll pick some of that up.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Looks like DuPonts Teflon chain saver gets some really good reviews. I'll pick some of that up.
From what i read (and tried to buy before i purchased the Wurth) - DuPont is highly rated.
Here is an article i found:

DuPont Motorcycle Chain Lubes for 2012 - webBikeWorld
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:45 PM

I use this, D.I.D Chain Lube:

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 PM

The Motul chain paste does pretty good and easy to put on with the attached brush. Stays on the chain and doesn't cover the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Tosi View Post
I use this, D.I.D Chain Lube:

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:20 PM

Hi guys,

Picking up the old threat on chain oil.

Didn’t any of you consider an electric chain oiler dropping 2-3 drops of oil every x (6) km, giving an extra drop at speed or rain?
I was used to drive a Moto- Guzzi, ofcourse without the chain, so got used to that. When I shifted over to tiger 800 I had a small problem, ... lubing achain, especially when it rains ofcourse is never gonna be my hobby ( ok, call me lazy) so I found a solution doing the job for me: check the internet on McCoi - Kettenoiler. McCoi.de ( no i do not have a financial interest, As far as i know they also have a English version of www, anyway always enough people over here to translate if needed) As you may know I will have my first bobber in about a month but as the oiler system is normally already Kind of a DIY solution, at the bobber it is going to be even worse as I have to hide or disguise parts as much as possible. Therefore I started building already, created the electronic print, selected an option for the tank, have to prepare that (paint black etc) find (black) solution for original green oil lines etc. Pretty good way to prepare on arrival of bike.

Last edited by Leon; 02-03-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Internet link would give a problem
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:45 PM

I don’t use chain lube on O Ring chains. The lube for the pins is in the chain. Anything you spray on wouldn’t make it past the orings to lube anything of value. In my opinion, any amount of chain lube sufficient to lube the chain to sprocket contact would be a slinging mess on a high speed application like a motorcycle.

I just make sure the chain is clean and I use a light coat of WD40 or similar product to protect the chain from rust and oxidation. They last just as long as everyone making a mess with chain lube. When they wear out, I buy new ones.

Having been involved in off road riding and MX Racing for many years, I have bought a ton of chains and sprockets and used many different chain lubes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page