Tremendous Trio - Triumph Bobber Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
GPz

Tremendous Trio

Yesterday I installed the following three goodies on my Bobber Black:

1) British Customs Sleeper Pro Mufflers.
2) Motone X-Pipe.
3) 16-Tooth Front Sprocket.

I have done countless motorcycle modifications over the years but I don't recall ever being more delighted with the outcome of a few hours' efforts. The machine has an entirely different personality, feels much more lively at all RPMs and sounds WAY better than stock, now having a nasty growl I did not expect. I actually purchased the Sleeper Pros from someone who bought them new but never installed them because he saw on some YouTube video that they -- even with an X-Pipe -- were tested at just 1 decibel louder than stock. He opted for drag pipes instead, but now that he's heard mine he wishes he hadn't. There's no way in the world these are just 1 decibel louder than stock (I cannot find any YouTube videos with Sleeper Pros on a Bobber). The sound is just right for me -- plenty loud especially when I want them to be, but not "loose and burbly sounding" like drag pipes. Any louder and I would probably find it annoying on a long ride despite the fact that I wear a full-face helmet.

The 1-tooth smaller front sprocket was a nice surprise too. If you've ever ridden a bike that was geared too low you know what I mean when I say I was concerned about lurchy driveline lash. I was also concerned about RPMs being annoying high at 70+ mph. No such problems appeared. In fact traffic light take-offs are much smoother without having to be careful at all on the clutch lever. And I don't even notice the difference when cruising at highway speeds.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone else is looking for a simple weekend project that pays off in spades.

Next weekend -- Airbox Delete!

-GPz
post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post

(I cannot find any YouTube videos with Sleeper Pros on a Bobber).

-GPz
that's awesome! Any chance you could upload a video of your exhaust to YouTube, then??
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post

1) British Customs Sleeper Pro Mufflers.
2) Motone X-Pipe.
3) 16-Tooth Front Sprocket.

I have done countless motorcycle modifications over the years but I don't recall ever being more delighted with the outcome of a few hours' efforts. The machine has an entirely different personality, feels much more lively at all RPMs and sounds WAY better than stock, now having a nasty growl I did not expect. I actually purchased the Sleeper Pros from someone who bought them new but never installed them because he saw on some YouTube video that they -- even with an X-Pipe -- were tested at just 1 decibel louder than stock. He opted for drag pipes instead, but now that he's heard mine he wishes he hadn't. There's no way in the world these are just 1 decibel louder than stock (I cannot find any YouTube videos with Sleeper Pros on a Bobber). The sound is just right for me -- plenty loud especially when I want them to be, but not "loose and burbly sounding" like drag pipes. Any louder and I would probably find it annoying on a long ride despite the fact that I wear a full-face helmet.

The 1-tooth smaller front sprocket was a nice surprise too. If you've ever ridden a bike that was geared too low you know what I mean when I say I was concerned about lurchy driveline lash. I was also concerned about RPMs being annoying high at 70+ mph. No such problems appeared. In fact traffic light take-offs are much smoother without having to be careful at all on the clutch lever. And I don't even notice the difference when cruising at highway speeds.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone else is looking for a simple weekend project that pays off in spades.

Next weekend -- Airbox Delete!

-GPz

I am interested in the smaller front sprocket... Did you have to change your chain to compensate? Also, has it altered your shifting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hey GPz, I don't know if you've heard of the 12 minute tune before, but basically:

1. Wait til your bike is fully cooled down
2. Start the engine WITHOUT giving it any throttle
3. Don't touch the throttle, just let it sit running for 12 minutes

This puts the ECU through a recalibration for your new x-pipe and silencers

- Pasta
eisen77, MikeB, Roy and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Hey GPz, I don't know if you've heard of the 12 minute tune before, but basically:

- Pasta
I believe that you have to let it idle for 12 minutes AFTER the cooling fan kicks in!
ysoslo, Psychopasta and Marinaio70 like this.

Riding Free
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
GPz

Captain French: Regarding a video, unfortunately I do not own a quality video camera and my iPhone simply does not do it justice. Here's a suggestion: Just imagine the sound of factory mufflers, and then imagine the sound of wide open drag pipes with no cat. If you would like your bike a bit louder than stock but still closer to factory than to drag pipes, simply replace your cat with an X-Pipe. On the other hand, if you would like your bike significantly louder than stock, but not as obnoxiously "look at me" noisy as drag pipes then do what I did. My ears perceive that Sleeper Pros with a Motone X-Pipe produce a sound that is about 70% down the volume spectrum between dead-factory and open drag pipes w/ X-Pipe. But it's not just the Sleeper Pro's volume that is appealing -- it's the deep throaty tone. Remember what a small block Chevy sounds like with headers and Cherry Bomb mufflers? It's kind of the Triumph version of that. Just enough to get the blood flowing without going full metal Don Garlits and pissing off all the neighbors even when you're trying to be quiet.

MajSteveTrevor: As for the 16-Tooth sprocket, I was not sure I would like it so I left the chain at 108 links. It's fine but the rear axle is back pretty far in the slot. I'd like to remove just one link but nobody seems to stock bisexual master links.

Psychopasta & Forjox: I appreciate the 12-Minute tune reminder. I will wait to do that until next weekend after I do the airbox delete and add my BoosterPlug. Can't wait to hear that ol' K&N intake noise combined with my new pipes. Makes me feel young again just thinking about it, LOL.

-GPz
ysoslo and Psychopasta like this.

Last edited by GPz; 03-18-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 PM

Garage
GPz, can you please share which 16 tooth front sprocket you went with? I've been looking a little online and there seem to be several options out there.

Each one matters.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
GPz

ysoslo: Sure, 16-Tooth sprocket P/N = T1182516.
ysoslo likes this.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post

- Pasta
That won't do anything. The bike needs to be cold as in first start of day. Start the bike without touching the throttle and let it idle till it reaches 190F again without touching the throttle. You will know when it reaches 190F because the fan will kick on, now time the 12 minutes then you can shut it down for a few minutes. Then go for a ride!
Marinaio70 likes this.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 AM

Try the tune without the booster plug first.
Marinaio70 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page