Hilltop ECU programming - Triumph Bobber Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hilltop ECU programming

I have recently been in contact with Hilltop - who seem to have a very good reputation when it comes to ECU and all things engine/power delivery/smooth drive related.

Before I send them my Bobber & GSA ECU’s, I would like to know if anyone here has had any first hand experience with them and/or Geoff.
I am asking forum wide & not just UK members, as I am aware many customers send their ECU’s in via DHL (as I will do).

Thanks for any input.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:55 PM

Garage
I can't offer any further info on them i'm afraid but I'm interested in what you think of the result when you get it back, seems like a reasonably priced upgrade if it lets the bike run a little free'r

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

As always, I share my Bobber related experiences with the forum.

ECU removal on the Bobber means dropping the rear tire and removing rear fender, etc. Itís quite well hidden...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:26 PM
Vendor

Have no experience, their process is Interesting, they install a piggy back system (similar to say a power commander) internally in the ECU. As they claim they don’t touch the original tune. People rave about them, part that confuses me is that they claim you wouldn’t see any gains anywhere on a dyno, which doesn’t make sense to me if the bike is running that much better.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for your reply @AandJCycles
They also claim there is ZERO affect on emissions. This is one reason I want this to work, as the RapidBike “easy” module (AFM) on my GSA pollutes 6 x more than the legal limit. Though it makes the bike really, really smooth.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
I have recently been in contact with Hilltop - who seem to have a very good reputation when it comes to ECU and all things engine/power delivery/smooth drive related.
Before I send them my Bobber & GSA ECU’s, I would like to know if anyone here has had any first hand experience with them and/or Geoff.
I am asking forum wide & not just UK members, as I am aware many customers send their ECU’s in via DHL (as I will do).
Thanks for any input.
I took my bobber there about a year ago, they insisted I remove the PCV which I did, they connected it up downloaded something into the ecu, did a power run which was the worst most useless chart I have ever had done. Cannot remember if they charged me £300 or £350, total waste of money. I came away unimpressed took it to Big CC racing for proper dyno he said it was so lean he was surprised it was still running.
I put the PCV back on & got it set up on the dyno, MUCH better.
I have heard good reviews about Hilltop, mainly on BMW's, maybe I was just unlucky, but I would never recommend them for our bikes. I will try to find their dyno print out but it was such a joke I am not even sure I kept it.

Last edited by trirocket3; 02-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks Tri.
I knew I could count on you for an honest and first hand opinion.
Much appreciated and taken heavily into account.
My GSA is running great, but will fail the MOT emissions test (every 2 years) if I leave the rapidbike module on. Hence why i was looking at other more permanent and non polluting solutions.

Hilltop want 300 gbp per ECU plus return shipping costs.
So far I have not been able to lock down a discount for doing both at the same time.
But after your input, that probably wonít matter...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:55 PM

It was January last year, just after I flowed the head, they also said they could probably remove the speed limiter, but they didn't. After Hilltop A/F went down as low 17.7 at one point power was 70hp then fitted pcv Big CC did their thing ended up 93hp, so a gain of 23hp over Hilltop with just proper dyno tuning.
They told me they would do a second bike for £250, I might have let them loose on one of my BMW's but I want to sell them both anyway so not worth it.

Last edited by trirocket3; 02-14-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page