Bobber Black Headlight bulb - Triumph Bobber Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bobber Black Headlight bulb

I am not a big fan of bright white light , and much prefer the warm glow of a halogen bulb . I am wanting to change the bulb in the Bobber Black 2018 headlight . The triumph website lists all the marvels of the Bobber Black saying it has an all new LED headlight , but the owners manual says the bulb is a 12v H4 Halogen 60/55 W . So not sure if its LED or Halogen ?

2nd paragraph down ... FULL LED https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/b...s/bobber-black

Page . 128 . Specifications , headlight . Halogen

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.my/ser...ok_English.pdf

All I can see is a circuit board type card with what looks like LEDS , behaves like LEDs , so it must be LEDS .

Not sure I can do much about it without replacing the whole unit , but wondered if anybody had opened or changed the headlight bulb / LED and if its a no-go .

Many thanks

Last edited by Viper; 10-07-2018 at 01:41 PM.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Viper,

I'm in the middle of a headlight swap (waiting on parts and more to come on this in a future post). However I believe it is a sealed unit. Fine to be corrected but that's what I understand.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I also find the extreme whiteness of LEDs not quite right on a vintage-looking bike like the Bobber. My solution is yellow headlamp paint. Much simpler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey , thanks Roy - may walk down that road too and change it out .

Psychopasta , that's what i was thinking, not sure you get a clear paint ? but would give it a go . Exactly , vintage bikes shouldn't be bright LED , it's not an Audi . I'm gonna get a can of that paint now .

Think the owners manual has some misprints on specs and also mixes up the tyre / tire pressures a bit when they convert units and make the front tyre harder than the back tyre after converting units that were correct before . They have front as 2.8 bar and rear as 2.6 bar , but once converted to lbs/in2 they get it right . on page 128 of owners manual .
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Excellent , i saw a T120 at the DGR 2018 with a yellow glass lens and it looked pretty cool .
I see KRYLON do stained glass spray too , but probably not as good for moving parts hitting a lot of air particles as your one ..
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...cp6mkvpk_b_p38

Thanks Psychopasta !
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 PM

Garage
3M and a few other wrap/film companies make a transparent vinyl type flexible film that can both change the tint of the lens, as well as protect it. In the event that you got a heavy rock chip or otherwise damaged the film, you could peel it off and replace it much easier than paint. Paint won’t give you the protection of film, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ysoslo and Viper like this.

"The path of adventure leads to wisdom"
- Celestial Seasonings Tea Bag
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:10 AM

Garage
If you are interested, I have a bobber 2016 with a standard headlight on it, it has a straight bulb replacement on it at the moment, so is LED, but can be an H4 Halogen again, straight away.We can do a swap - unless they don't swap, or we have to do some magitrickery.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigstocksbobber View Post
If you are interested, I have a bobber 2016 with a standard headlight on it, it has a straight bulb replacement on it at the moment, so is LED, but can be an H4 Halogen again, straight away.We can do a swap - unless they don't swap, or we have to do some magitrickery.
I may be wrong, but I think the wiring harnesses are diff and in different spots (wire lengths) for the headlight cases/bucket , so prob wouldn't be plug and play.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks John , thats the way I am going .
I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it looks just the part . Has the sticky side covering and the outer covering that both peel off with the self adhesive layer in the middle , really nice tint and makes the bike look awesome . I will post some pics , this is a first attempt with some lines and crinkles but it works like a charm .
Like the protection side of it too !

Last edited by Viper; 10-14-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page