Tried a different MAP today. - Triumph Bobber Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Tried a different MAP today.

The dealer updated my bike to the newest updates today and I decided to try a new map. Currently I have the map designated for V&H exhaust, 91octane, and specified to North America and Canada. There was another map designated for V&H exhaust, 91octane, but it was not region specific. My guess is that it is more of a global spec. There are other geographic specific maps for India, Asia, etc.

I tried the non region specific map but the bike felt a little flat to me compared to the other. No proof of this...just seat of the pants feel. Maybe it was just in my head but it didnít feel like an improvement. I ended up having them go back to the North American spec map. If the American version of the V&H is a more open design, the region specific map could be a little more aggressive for this I guess??

Curious as to what others have done and if they could feel any difference after a remap.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 PM

I went with the V&H US map back in February. They seemed to pop and back fire a little less, I have the BC shotguns, no cat. The lower end and idle is much more solid but they did the ECU updates at the same time so it's hard to tell which did what!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX429 View Post
The dealer updated my bike to the newest updates today and I decided to try a new map. Currently I have the map designated for V&H exhaust, 91octane, and specified to North America and Canada. There was another map designated for V&H exhaust, 91octane, but it was not region specific. My guess is that it is more of a global spec. There are other geographic specific maps for India, Asia, etc.

I tried the non region specific map but the bike felt a little flat to me compared to the other. No proof of this...just seat of the pants feel. Maybe it was just in my head but it didnít feel like an improvement. I ended up having them go back to the North American spec map. If the American version of the V&H is a more open design, the region specific map could be a little more aggressive for this I guess??

Curious as to what others have done and if they could feel any difference after a remap.
So has this one finally been put to bed, the V&H map really does exist? I was starting to think this was the stuff of legend like Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster! Often spotted but never captured

In the past having regional/exhaust specific maps for the fuel injection made sense to account for different grades of fuel, different environmental legislation, and different air fuel mixes but with smart ECUís isn't remapping in all but the most extreme circumstances redundant, something that we used to do but is no longer necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
So has this one finally been put to bed, the V&H map really does exist? I was starting to think this was the stuff of legend like Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster! Often spotted but never captured

In the past having regional/exhaust specific maps for the fuel injection made sense to account for different grades of fuel, different environmental legislation, and different air fuel mixes but with smart ECUís isn't remapping in all but the most extreme circumstances redundant, something that we used to do but is no longer necessary?
I think people have it backwards and give the ECU too much credit. These engine management systems make corrections for air density, temps, and small variances, but they donít learn and adapt to verything that is thrown at them. Just because you remove your airbox, run straight pipes, port your head, and your bike still runs....doesnít mean itís optimal. Correct me if I am wrong, but I donít think these bikes even have knock or detonation sensors like cars do to adjust timing advance for fuel differences.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 PM

So the dealer offered this map update? Is this a free sort of service or did they charge you?

Thanks in advance
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My dealer told me they indeed have V&H map, costs 60 bucks to get it flashed, said takes them a half hour to get it done.

I plan on doing it this fall.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page