Throttle body balance - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Throttle body balance

After connecting my Dealer Tool and exploring its functions, I have found that my throttles look to be slightly out of balance. My dealer found these out of balance at one point and I was told there synced back into spec.

Questions for anyone with experience here:

What is the process for gaining acces to the adjustment screw and is it a hard job?

Is a slight imbalance something to be concerned with?

I have no problems with the way the bike runs. If this is a very involved process, I may just leave it be. My bike seems to run great.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't have experience with this, but also saw the function on the dealertool. I naively thought the software when selected or action executed would interact with the throttle bodies and the tool would adjust them, IE not manual. But now that I actually think about it, how could that be?

I hope people have something to contribute on this topic!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I know: ( or believe )

Instead of using vacuum gauges like on older bikes, you can access the MAP sensor values through the computer to determine if each cylinder is balanced. The dealer tool shows a nice graph and gives values of each side.

There is an adjustment screw that either adjusts the butterfly or mediates an air leak between the two sides (not sure what it does) to allow you to balance the throttles.

I have no idea where this screw is or how hard it is to access. I was hoping someone here could provide more than my limited knowledge or speculation on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:56 AM

I was hoping the Haynes manual I have just bought would have some details. However in Section 8 of maintenance for throttle body sync their suggestion is to take it to the dealer . Colour me unimpressed. I have seen something on the procedure here Thruxton 1200/R Throttle Body Balance - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I wonder if anyone who downloaded the Bobber service manual will be able to chime in.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's_yer_firkin View Post
I was hoping the Haynes manual I have just bought would have some details. However in Section 8 of maintenance for throttle body sync their suggestion is to take it to the dealer . Colour me unimpressed. I have seen something on the procedure here Thruxton 1200/R Throttle Body Balance - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Perhaps the Haynes manual says this because you prob need a diagnostics tool (dealertool) to actually read the balance and they assume most people would not have this?
ysoslo likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Perhaps the Haynes manual says this because you prob need a diagnostics tool (dealertool) to actually read the balance and they assume most people would not have this?
I take your point MD, but ultimately its a workshop manual. Most people undertaking workshop tasks have the tools for the job. For example a Torque wrench or a set of metric sockets. The Dealer Tool is just another tool and I suspect there are other obd readers which could do the job. For Haynes to just suggest go to your dealer strikes me as a cop out.
muensterDeath, chezqui and ysoslo like this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:31 PM

I have not done this but I have read about it extensively on Rat. The dealers claim it is a long process involving removing the tank and air cleaners to access the screw while one member on there says all you have to do is remove a cover?

They list a tolerance for the max imbalance but I would say if your bike does not idle rough or stall just leave it alone. Don't fix what ain't broken.

Also do you have the latest ECU downloads which are meant to cure the stalling problem some have. I did a thread on it back 6 weeks or so ago and I think my idle is stronger though I never had the stalling problem!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Are any of those who have bought the service/shop manuals (not Haynes) able to look in that and comment?

A cover removal to remove gas tank and air cleaners is a very vast difference as BOBBYP has pointed out.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

If the tank has to be removed, It could be a tough project. I donít see how you can perform this adjustment without having the bike running or at least the ability to crank it and test.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page