Booster Plug modified - Triumph Bobber Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Booster Plug modified

I installed my Sleeper Pro slip-ons and a Booster Plug last Saturday. The instructions for the Booster Plug say to place the sensor near the headlight for best performance but the wiring is about 18 inches short of being able to do that so I placed it on the rear subframe just under the seat. While riding Saturday afternoon I placed my hand in the area of the sensor and felt a lot of warm air from the engine flowing in that area. That tells me it is not the optimal position, especially when summer temps get into the mid 90 to 100 degrees as is common here.

The instructions also say that if needed, wire can be spliced in the sensor lead; so, this evening I did just that. I now have the sensor just behind the headlight. I'm sure the cooler the air hitting the sensor, the better. Seems the manufacturer could make the sensor wire a little longer to begin with but I guess on some Triumphs it is good as is.

2018 Triumph Bobber with Triumph brown quilted seat, BC Sleeper Pros, Booster Plug, leather fork bag
2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2006 Harley Roadking
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdib View Post
I installed my Sleeper Pro slip-ons and a Booster Plug last Saturday. The instructions for the Booster Plug say to place the sensor near the headlight for best performance but the wiring is about 18 inches short of being able to do that so I placed it on the rear subframe just under the seat. While riding Saturday afternoon I placed my hand in the area of the sensor and felt a lot of warm air from the engine flowing in that area. That tells me it is not the optimal position, especially when summer temps get into the mid 90 to 100 degrees as is common here.

The instructions also say that if needed, wire can be spliced in the sensor lead; so, this evening I did just that. I now have the sensor just behind the headlight. I'm sure the cooler the air hitting the sensor, the better. Seems the manufacturer could make the sensor wire a little longer to begin with but I guess on some Triumphs it is good as is.
I ordered mine today and would be curious to know/see how you routed it as I intend on extending the wire and feeding the sensor to the same location. Where you able to hide it well?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I fished the wire through behind the carbs (oops, I mean the fuel injection units..LOL), then zip tied it in several places to the overflow hose that runs along the left side of the fuel tank just behind the tank seam. It then emerges near the steering head along with all the other wires and cables, through the bracket that holds them to the steering head and the silver sensor is zip tied to one of the wires behind the headlight. You cant see it under the tank unless you really try by looking underneath the tank and it blends in with all the other wires at the steering head. Just be sure to move the handlebars to full stop in both directions to make sure it doesn't get in a bind as things move.

When I have to lift the tank for any service, I'll then re-route it along the wire harness that runs under the tank. I see no reason to lift the tank just to do that however since it is completely hidden as is.
muensterDeath likes this.

2018 Triumph Bobber with Triumph brown quilted seat, BC Sleeper Pros, Booster Plug, leather fork bag
2006 Harley Roadking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 PM

Garage
I installed my BoosterPlug when the tank was off to be painted, and I routed it as you can see in the pics. The wiring was extended about 2 feet and 16"-18" would have been plenty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BP Sensor.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	16474   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP cord showing.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	16482  
muensterDeath and Bikerdib like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ysosio, I haven't tried yet, is it possible to remove the rear bolts holding the tank on and simply lift it at the rear enough to fish the wire along the main wire harness without completly removing the tank?

2006 Harley Roadking
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM

Garage
You might be able to do it, but it would likely be pretty difficult. In the pic I posted showing the sensor behind the headlight, you can see the thick plastic loom holder on the right side of the pic. This holder is roughly 15" long and has 4 clips. I undid the clips and placed the sensor wire in there with care not to pinch it anywhere. Depending on how high the tank will lift up with just the back bolts removed, you might be able to do the same although you'll likely need an extra pair of hands to hold the tank up out of your way while you work.
MikeB and Bikerdib like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
You might be able to do it, but it would likely be pretty difficult. In the pic I posted showing the sensor behind the headlight, you can see the thick plastic loom holder on the right side of the pic. This holder is roughly 15" long and has 4 clips. I undid the clips and placed the sensor wire in there with care not to pinch it anywhere. Depending on how high the tank will lift up with just the back bolts removed, you might be able to do the same although you'll likely need an extra pair of hands to hold the tank up out of your way while you work.
I have not looked at what the level of effort is to take the tank off....is it a pain?, or simply a couple bolts, couple wiring harnesses and fuel line unclip?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 PM

So after all that extending of the wires and rerouting has anyone actually noticed a difference in the bike running smoother with the slightly cooler air passing over the censor ? I have my plug towards the rear of the bike now.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rain moved in again so Ihaven't been able to ride since extending the wire. I expect that it will have the most effect in a couple of months when I get into summer temps.

2006 Harley Roadking
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 PM

Garage
It's winter here in Minnesota, so I can't give any feedback for a couple of months yet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page