So far... - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bikerdib

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So far...

Picked up the bike 10 days ago. Second day of ownership I went back to the dealer and got the quilted brown seat and installed it. Since then I have removed all reflectors and warning labels. I have bought and installed British Customs Sleeper Pros and a Booster Plug. I have a stainless license plate frame and back plate on order that I will turn into a brush finish to match the exhaust.

During a couple of 50 mile rides, I realized that the brown seat isn't as comfortable to me as the stock seat was. It has more slope from back to front. This causes me to roll my hips forward and during a ride I tended to slide forward on the seat when I hit a sharp bump and the family jewels didn't like that.

So today, I pulled the staples, removed the cover and used a die grinder with a sanding disc to cut down the foam at the rear of the seat giving it more of a dish shape and less slope. I then used a fine grit disc to smooth the foam. Then I used my air stapler and stainless staples to replace the seat cover. I've reworked several of my seats over the 43 years I've been riding.

Took it out for a 30 mile ride and it is much improved.
eisen77 likes this.

2018 Triumph Bobber with Triumph brown quilted seat, BC Sleeper Pros, Booster Plug, leather fork bag
2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2006 Harley Roadking
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdib View Post
Picked up the bike 10 days ago. Second day of ownership I went back to the dealer and got the quilted brown seat and installed it. Since then I have removed all reflectors and warning labels. I have bought and installed British Customs Sleeper Pros and a Booster Plug...
Have you installed the Booster plug yet?
I´ve had mine on for a while now and noticed much less decel popping, a smoother throttle response from low down and less/no hunting while holding it constant.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

During a couple of 50 mile rides, I realized that the brown seat isn't as comfortable to me as the stock seat was. It has more slope from back to front. This causes me to roll my hips forward and during a ride I tended to slide forward on the seat when I hit a sharp bump and the family jewels didn't like that.
Nice to get some changes done so quickly! What you are talking about with the seat is what has held me off from ordering the black quilted seat. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on it Friday afternoon and ordered it. I think I will try to get the seat reupholstered in the same cut as the current seat but in quilted pattern.

Ordering the booster plug here in a few days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I installed the Booster Plug the same day I installed the Sleepers so I don't know if it helped with deceleration poping or not but I do think the bike runs better and I'm not getting any popping. The Sleepers are a straight through design so I think without the Booster Plug I would be getting deceleration pop. I'm running an Akrapovic exhaust on my BMW and without the Booster Plug I have on it I get lots of popping so it definately helped the BMW.

Whether its the free flowing exhaust, the Booster Plug or the combination, I can't say. Maybe I'll unplug the Booster Plug and reconnect the air temp sensor directly for a test one day just to find out. I currently have the sensor mounted on the rear subframe just under the seat but yesterday while riding I placed my hand there and I can feel quite a lot of engine heat flowing by it. I plan on cutting the wires and extending the lead for the sensor so I can mount it near the headlight shell before the summer temps hit.

I have some tan leather on hand and I'm thinking I may re-cover the stock seat. Don't know if it is worth the trouble though since my modded brown quilted is working OK.

2018 Triumph Bobber with Triumph brown quilted seat, BC Sleeper Pros, Booster Plug, leather fork bag
2006 Harley Roadking

Last edited by Bikerdib; 02-19-2018 at 11:24 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:

So today, I pulled the staples, removed the cover and used a die grinder with a sanding disc to cut down the foam at the rear of the seat giving it more of a dish shape and less slope. I then used a fine grit disc to smooth the foam. Then I used my air stapler and stainless staples to replace the seat cover. I've reworked several of my seats over the 43 years I've been riding.

Took it out for a 30 mile ride and it is much improved.
you can also stick a couple of washers between the seat tongue and the seat to change the seat's angle. i did this this and it works great!

(btw, as a side note: my physical therapist advised me to angle the seat forward roll my hips forward for less strain on my lower back, just my 2cents)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Picked up the bike 10 days ago. Second day of ownership I went back to the dealer and got the quilted brown seat and installed it. Since then I have removed all reflectors and warning labels. I have bought and installed British Customs Sleeper Pros and a Booster Plug. I have a stainless license plate frame and back plate on order that I will turn into a brush finish to match the exhaust.
i installed the booster plug a couple months after i installed a cat-less x-pipe, and it did make a difference in her performance (how much idk, but it was noticeable), and ended the popping on deceleration. i'd advise to put one yours; however, i have'nt yet pulled her plugs to see if they are getting fouled or not from too rich of fuel. i'm installing some Gasser pipes (i hate those ugly stock tin-can pipes) and after i put a hundred or more miles (maybe it should be more than 100 before i check them, idk any thoughts on that would be appreciated) with the whole new set-up, i'll check the plugs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
To get an accurate reading, you really need to put in fresh plugs, ride at least 100 miles then read the plugs. Also, during the test, keep the idle time to a minimum.

2006 Harley Roadking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page