Heated grips and accessory - Triumph Bobber Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Heated grips and accessory

Not that I am using the bike currently. With all the salt on the road and lack of daylight its tucked up in the garage. However I did decide to add some heated grips and an accessory plug. The accessory plug was easy. There are some Triumph instructions on the web for this and its easy to do. Hardest part is locating the power cable. You have to take two bolts out from the rear of the tank and fish it out from the harness then drop it down between the throttle bodies. The bracket bolts on above the clutch cover behind the cylinders. There are two plugs in the bolt holes. I am using it as a charge point for my trickle charger with a powerlett connector i picked up from Amazon.

The heated grips are also pretty straightforward though I can't find any Bobber specific instructions and annoyingly there are none included. So far I have only done the clutch side. The hardest part was getting the old grip off. I used the compressed air trick but I have seen people use WD40 its on pretty tight but no glue I could see. The power wire in the new grip feeds up through the bar and you fish it out by the switchgear which has the connector in place. All in all a pretty simple job. I will tackle the throttle side tomorrow.
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:58 AM

I have a set waiting to go on as well, ended up losing patients with the clutch side grip and cutting it off. I thought the instructions were pretty generic throughout the new Bonneville models, are you using this one?:

http://www.triumphinstructions.com/P...9638105-EN.pdf
Warthog and Bob's_yer_firkin like this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jock_Rocket that link is perfect. The one I found was for the Thruxton etc. which has a different layout. Its a fairly self explanatory process, but it is nice to have the right instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:39 AM

Will B well worth it , A must 4 British weather , carnt believe itís took me 40 years discover them !!
Ancient Hippy and Bobber-Bomb like this.

Hornet 🐝
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

I fitted the throttle side this morning. Its a bit fiddly as there isn't much free play in the plug, but it didn't take long. The grips heat up pretty quickly too. They aren't cheap, but they are well made. I also added an LED headlight I found on Amazon for £47 I haven't tried it in anger but it seems good and was a steal at that price compared to what Triumph want for the genuine article. It was listed for Harleys and it doesn't have a socket for the parking light, but as I have never used that I can't really mourn its loss.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Interested to know how you get on fitting the LED lamp - price is a steal if it fits
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingari View Post
Interested to know how you get on fitting the LED lamp - price is a steal if it fits
Its an easy fit, the light has a lug which matches the backplate inside the headlight. It doesn't have provision for the parking light. I never use that anyway. I am not sure if this link works but this is what it looks like. Its very bright and cheap enough to take a risk on.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 PM

Interesting post Bob, I was told you had to have them coded & switch on by Triumph? Do the heat levels show on the dash?

Also I read somewhere that there has been a recall on heated grips expanding too much on the throttle side. When on full heat they then got caught on the mirror mount hindering free movement.

It might have been the Thruxston or Scrambler as there factory fitted but worth keeping an eye on.

Triumphs fix was to put a additional washer between the grip & mirror mount.
ysoslo likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I think it just the cruise control that has to be coded by the dealers Walenut. Once they were connected you hit the button on the left side and it cycles through off-lo-hi in the dash. I can't see the throttle grip sticking as its a fair gap between it and the mirror, but its is worth bearing in mind.That could ruin your day!
Walenut likes this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Cheers Bob, great to know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page