Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Weslake TT slash cut pipes

33K views 77 replies 27 participants last post by  tobyg 
#1 ·
Bought and fitted these Weslake TT slash cut pipes today to compliment the Weslake xpipe, must say personally I think it sounds superb very deep tone loud and certainly an improvement over others I have tried. A quick 50 mile blast in 1c certainly blew the cobwebs off both me and the bike which ran without fault, still need to get the air box elimination kit on so maybe next weeks job.

I need to work out why the photos are upside down.... sorry

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
It's simple, 2 Frame bolts side by side, it's the front most one. I didnt check any torque settings (i know slap on the wrist) so gave it a tighten and a little more if you get what i mean. Had the shop check it at the 500 service and didnt get any scathing comments about too tight or loose so i think it was about right.

When installing the BC tips i did find the original bolts that hold the silencer (lol) on were about 1/4 inch too short so had to wait a day for amazon to drop off a couple of bolts and a couple of ny-lock nuts for peace of mind.

#36 ·
Need some help

Apparently the longer bolt delivered with the kit (for the side stand rubber / bracket) is a wrong size.
M8 instead of M10.
So I need to look for another bolt.
Found an M10 with the correct length, but wrong thread size :frown2:

Could anybody let me know which thread size it schould be?

Thanks!

#37 ·

Here you are, I have just finished installing Weslake pipes. Video is stock vs Weslake recorded with GoPro. Sounds is even deeper than what you can hear in the video but I don’t have any other decent recording device. Installation was pretty simple. I guess sounds is similar to BC drag pipes. I am not planning to remove CAT for now but we will see how it goes once spring arrives. :nerd:

#38 ·
https://youtu.be/Et73R3g0Yis

Here you are, I have just finished installing Weslake pipes. Video is stock vs Weslake recorded with GoPro. Sounds is even deeper than what you can hear in the video but I don’t have any other decent recording device. Installation was pretty simple. I guess sounds is similar to BC drag pipes. I am not planning to remove CAT for now but we will see how it goes once spring arrives. :nerd:
Nice one Jakub, your new pipes look and sound awesome! :smile2:

Can you tell us how loud they are compared to the originals because I find it impossible to tell from YouTube videos? I must be getting old because I’m no longer into obnoxiously loud exhausts, I’ve had Harley's and bought the tea shirts :wink2: So I’m hoping they're just a little bit louder than stock but with a much deeper rumble, what do you think? :surprise:

#42 ·
Need advice

First ride of the year yesterday >:)

Also first ride with my Weslake slash cut pipes mounted! The looks is good, the sound is great and seems to have more power in the hight revs..... So fantastic!

But..... I realy don't like how the header covers fit to the end pipe :frown2:
The pipes have a narow 90° angle and then a bigger size end pipe welded to it. The fastener for the header cover is exactly on the spot where the bigger zise pipe starts. If it was on the narow pipe, it would be nice, but see the result....

Does anybody else had the same problems? And any tips to improve???

Attachments

#43 ·
First ride of the year yesterday >:)

Also first ride with my Weslake slash cut pipes mounted! The looks is good, the sound is great and seems to have more power in the hight revs..... So fantastic!

But..... I realy don't like how the header covers fit to the end pipe :frown2:
The pipes have a narow 90° angle and then a bigger size end pipe welded to it. The fastener for the header cover is exactly on the spot where the bigger zise pipe starts. If it was on the narow pipe, it would be nice, but see the result....

Does anybody else had the same problems? And any tips to improve???
That can’t be right, I haven’t heard anyone else mention this on the forum and it’s not like it’s a minor thing! :frown2:

It also doesn't match Weslake’s pictures on Squaredeals in those the join is seamless.
1200 Bobber 2017 Weslake TT Slash Cuts Stainless Steel.

Have you tried calling them, maybe you’ve got a faulty set or maybe there’s a knack to fitting them? It does say on the SQ website 'Installs readily with a slight modification to the "fake cover" retaining clip in order to reduce the gap between the cover and the exhaust pipe providing a seamless one piece exhaust effect’ but I’m sure you’ve read that.

Please let us know how you go on, as there’s nothing worse than an ill-fitting aftermarket part! Maybe I’m going to have to stump up for a set of BC slash cuts after all. :|

#44 · (Edited)
For you curious types that may just be geeky enough to own a SPL meter, though you might like to know the SAE J2825 “Measurement of Exhaust Sound Pressure Levels of Stationary On-Highway Motorcycles” which is the standard most states have adopted and therefore the field test most officers would administer to give you a ticket.

As I understand it:
First, for the purpose of law enforcement, an ANSI Type I SPL meter is required (±.07db tolerance). That's not to say that a SPL meter on your cell phone may not be accurate or give you a good rough idea. But if a law officer pulls out a cell phone or a specialized SPL meter, it needs to be ANSI Type 1 qualified and it's calibration needs to have been certified in the last year.

The streetbike measurement requires holding a calibrated sound meter at a 45-degree angle 20 inches from the exhaust pipe of a running engine. The procedure spells out how to do the test with the bike at idle and either at 5000 rpms engine speed (the “Set RPM Test”), or by slowly increasing the engine speed of the bike to 5000 rpms (the “Swept RPM Test”).
The SAE J2825 standard, prepared by the SAE Motorcycle Technical Steering Committee, recommends a decibel limit of
(A) 92 dBA at idle for all machines or
(B) 96 dBA for two cylinder bikes using the Set RPM or Swept RPM Test

While the standard recommends taking the lower of the two, who knows that will always translate to the field. All the pipes sound fantastic. I love them but wonder where our Bobbers come in on this test at idle and 5k rpm before and after the decat and drag pipes. Those may be helpful answers to know before grabbing a hand full of thottle past an officer.

Attachments

#45 ·
Few bits of info for the brits:
MOT criteria: https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m1s07000101.htm
Inspection criteria - "With the engine running assess the effectiveness of the silencer(s) in reducing as far as is reasonable the noise emitted."
Failure criteria - "A silencer that is in such a condition or is of such a type that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition."

MSVA limits: https://assets.publishing.service.g...s/attachment_data/file/366046/msva-manual.pdfExhaust System / Noise

at an angle of 45° to the exhaust outlet in the direction which gives
the greatest possible distance between it and the outline of the
motorcycle (handlebars excluded), or body contour of a bodied
vehicle

at a distance of 500mm from the exhaust outlet
If the exhaust system has more than one outlet at centres less than 300mm apart, or
more than one outlet from a common silencer, the microphone must be faced towards
the outlet which is nearest the motorcycle (handlebars excluded), or body contour if
bodied vehicle or the highest point above the ground.
If the centres of the outlets are more
than 300mm apart, separate measurements must
be taken for each of them; the highest figure recorded being taken as the test value.
Run the engine at a constant speed of
;

¾ of its maximum power speed if that is less than or equal to
5000rpm
or

½ of its maximum power speed if that is more than 5000rpm
3. Check that the level of sound emitted for mopeds, motorcycles and light quadricycles
is not more than;
a) 91 dbA with an engine capacity of 80cc or less
b) 94 dbA with an engine capacity of more than 80cc but not more than
175cc
c) 99 dbA wit
h an engine capacity of above 175cc

#48 · (Edited)
I asked a respected mfg if they had any SPL data on their slash pipes with a decat and they responded: "We have done no testing for DB levels. We do know if you take the CAT off and use our pipes that the bike is very loud and also we do not recommend running it like that as there is no back pressure on the engine." So the pipes with a decat is a no go? Too loud and bad for the engine? Those that have done both, if it has to be one or the other, which would you chose and why?

#52 · (Edited)
The question can go out to the group: anyone experiencing lack of back pressure after removing the cat and installing Xpipe?

I have noticed slight gains in the performance of my bike with Xpipe and Gasser exhaust. I have the booster plug, but still experience popping and crackling on deceleration. I have not pulled the spark plugs to see how they look (haven't ridden it much since Gasser pipe install) to see how they look.

Additionally, could the MFG been mistaken in what you were asking? Perhaps they thought you were asking about running straight from the header to the exhaust, bypassing the cat or xpipe completely.

#53 ·
"Could the MFG been mistaken in what you were asking? Perhaps they thought you were asking about running straight from the header to the exhaust, bypassing the cat or xpipe completely."

I do not believe so. I was clear in requesting information about their pipes in conjunction with an x/pipe mod and their response seemed clear about the same.

#58 ·
OK, I admit it. I do own a bd meter. A few in fact. And I just installed the BC pipes, so.....

The stock pipes measure 82 db at idle. I didn't have an assistant so I didn't get the 5k rpm measurement.

The BC Custom slash cut with cat measured 86 bd but sounded perfect. Low and growling but Triumph low growl, not at all farty or obnoxiously loud.

If you go with the BC pipes, do yourself a favor and pick up a stainless steel 4.75cm M10 (1.25 thread) because the one BC shipped with my kit was a 4.75cm M10 (1.5 thread). Brian at A & J Cycles was kind enough to mail me the correct bolt pronto but if you are planning to install an hour or so before a ride, well, you may want to have the right bolt handy.

#59 ·
This is my first try at adding photos.
I ordered the BC turnouts from A&J Cycles who promptly shipped them to Australia.
I then had them and the rest of the system ceramic coated.
They were an easy fit as was the booster plug though I haven't extended the temp sensor yet.
I'm very happy with the results especially the exhaust note at idle and under acceleration.
Not sure yet if I'll fit an X-pipe.

Attachments

#64 ·
Looks like Weslake changed some things about the pipe and are now called version Mk-II. Maybe they fixed that heat shield mount issue and bolt? Would gladly buy them at 200+$ less than than the BC ceramic pipes and paint them myself but the small print on Squaredeals.co.uk says they wont ship to the US due to EPA restrictions. I know of no restriction in the state of Texas that would impede their sale so whats the deal with the blockade of the whole US for Californias standards?

#65 ·
I just ordered Weslake 'TT Slash Cuts' at Squaredeals before the transaction problems with Europe started.
Frank Bateman is super friendly and responds to emails very quickly.
I was able to order through my company and benefit from the elimination of VAT.
In addition Frank Bateman granted me a small discount on my purchase. I yearn to receive beautiful exhausts and especially to endend them crackling in my beautiful mountains. ??

#76 ·
I have been trying to track these TT slash cuts down and even squaredeals is out of stock with no sign of re-stocking. I'm about 40 bucks into a phonebill just leaving messages at shops around the UK.

If you ever sell these... Please send me a message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.