Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Cruise control fitted...

12K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  chezqui 
#1 ·
I had the cruise control fitted last week (for the EU, it is the non-DRL version A9630247 )
It is a nice mod to have, but it is the crudest, most basic version and i feel that Triumph could have offered this as OEM equipment for a few pennies more.

For 301 euros including fitting, it is a glorified software update (the bike is 100% cruise control ready, as the dash already has the activation light installed & all cabling is plug & play) and in order to accomodate this upgrade it is necessary to replace the whole left hand side switch cube - FOR A SINGLE ON/OFF BUTTON!!!!
And after paying all that, you cannot change your speed on the fly (acceleration nor decel). All you can do is cancel your set speed.
I expected more from a fly by wire system.
Even switching it off is not intuitive (unless you cancel it by touching the throttle/brake/clutch). Turning it on requires two pushes on the button to set it.

I have no problem paying for quality, workmanship, etc. But i feel that this mod is a little expensive compared to what it gives and what it COULD have cost if installed from the factory.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello mate,
While I don't have the CC on my bobber, (but seriously considering it), I'm thinking that you may be able to get the control that you're seeking, from the throttle.
When you're cruising with the CC on, and you want to add a little speed, you should be able to do so by opening the throttle to your desired higher speed, (which temporarily deactivates the CC), and then hitting the CC button once. It should then carry on at the newly set speed.
If you want to slow down a bit, you can turn the throttle forward (which also temporarily deactivates the CC), causing the bike to decelerate until you've reached your desired speed and then hit the CC button once to continue at the newly set speed.
Forgive me if I've got it wrong as I've not read the instructions yet, but after riding an HD Road King with CC for the last 8 years, which operates similar to this; it would only seem logical to me that Triumph would have set this up this way.

Simple yes, and you're quite right saying that they could have made this standard or as an option for a few extra pennies;
with you on that.

Cheers!
Mike

#3 ·
Thanks for your input, Mike. I am guilty of NOT reading the instructions. :wink2:
What you are saying makes perfect sense and i will give it a try next time i´m riding.
That aside, i still think speed incriments should be allowed to be changed without disengaging and (re)engaging the CC especially with a ride by wire, intelligent system in place. And that does annoy me quite a bit (be it oversight or costcutting on Triumph´s part...)

#5 ·
Oh by the way, completely off subject;:smile2: sorry

I just ordered the Motul 300V 10w40 oil for the first service next Monday 4th Sept.; already done 520km in the last few days, could get over the recommended 800km; looking forward to smoother shifting quieter motor etc. (thanks for the tip).

The weather is getting better here in Northern Europe now, after a pretty messed up summer 'till now; they call it "Alt Weiber Sommer" so should get some serious miles in. :smile2:

Reactions: eisen77
#7 ·
After reading the forum posts related to the factory branded cruise control; am I the only one that thinks this is nothing but a two wire monetary switch? I had a quick chat with the local Triumph dealers tech and we both think that this may be a, ≈$5 material cost, simple DIY project. I'm going to try and get a picture of the wire harness that comes with the factory cruise control and try a couple of different switches (NC, NO types) with the software turned on to see if that's the case. If it is, anyone willing to do a super simple wire job plus drilling a hole in the standard hand control housing should be able to enable cruise control minus the $400 button Triumph sells.

#10 · (Edited)
In this picture from the Triumph website, the switch housing has the main-beam/dip-switch positioned differently from the stock position. So what have they done with the stock dip-switch on the front of the housing? And why does the housing from Eisen77's look completely different?
...strange...

mike

#22 ·
:wink2:
Yeah the heated grip on/off switch is indeed on the grip, totally independent of the metal switch housing which contains the CC etc., as seen in the pic below.

So maybe it has something to do with DRL or not.

mike

Attachments

Reactions: chezqui
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.