Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Mini apes fitted

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  alanmcqeen 
#1 ·
400km round trip to Triumph dealer in Lisburn. Rainy day and 9 deg C so journey in full winter mode with screen w/wind deflector and oxford bar muffs. The trendy bobber look means the bike gets very mucky on country roads.

Anyway, bars fitted at dealer, screen back on and back home in torrential rain; bar muffs gave up and let rain in but only noticed that when I got home; factory heated grips, Keis heated insoles and the Harley screen were excellent in the conditions; cheap spurious wind deflector also did a great job.

Love the bars but I think they’ll need to come back a bit; the dealer explained the rationale behind the pins and I think I will try keep some form of retention when moving the bars back.

My R&G bash plate did a great job in protecting the underside of the bike.

Longest ride I’ve had on the bike, very enjoyable. I have the brown statement seat and it was comfortable for the journey.

Motone monza style cap is very handy for fill ups. I had three stops and it’s only a small thing but I’m glad I fitted it.

Finally, I jury rigged a pannier bag on the Kijima rack (bag with clips designed for a bicycle rack). The paint on the mudguard support rubbed off a bit and some from the rack; I’ll pay more attention next time setting up luggage.

Cleaned up nicely in the end! Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You will have to lose the pin if you want to move the bars back.

But, don't worry, take out the pin, and torque the clamp to about 27 or 28 ft lb, and you wont have an issue. Mine have been like that since the day I picked it up new, and has run like that for almost 8000 kilometers. I have never had them move. Even when I haul back on them to get the bike out of the wheel chock in my trailer.

#5 ·
Great ride considering the weather. Amazed you enjoyed it so much. On my last six day trip on my Indian Scout, with windshield (low), full weather gear but no bar muffs or heated grips, it was a steady, heavy rain for a day and a half. Can’t say I was miserable but, it wasn’t my best recollection of the ride. I have that Monza cap on my Bobber and I’m reminded how much I like it every time I fill up. I was impressed that you did that trip enjoying what you referred to as the “statement” seat (I originally had one but, finally gave it up because it lacked support on uneven roads or bumps/potholes) But, I see you actually have the quilted seat option. Not sure you’d have been as comfortable with that statement seat. It’s really really hard on your backside although it sure as heck looks great.

#6 ·
@jerrman, I too was surprised to hear "statement seat," "comfortable" and "journey" in the same sentence until I saw it was the quilted seat.

Sounds like a great Fall ride was had. I too liked the comfort of the quilted seat, but found it uncomfortable on long rides multiple days in a row. I needed to use a gel pad on Day 2 and 3 of my 1,000 mile weekend. @alanmcqeen you mentioned the R&G bash plate did a great job protecting the bottom of your bike. Did you hit something along the way that tested this part, or were you speaking generally?

#7 ·
Another advocate for the mini apes, did not think I would like the riding position and was considering putting risers on the original bars, just before I bought the bike the dealer let me borrow a bike with mini apes to try, I was surprised in how comfortable it was to ride, so before I got the bike off the showroom floor mini apes were put on haven't looked back, another one of those you just dont know until you try moments, and am glad I did.

#8 ·
Ah, I see I got the seat wrong anyway, apologies for the confusion. Yes, it’s the brown quilted seat and it worked for me. As for the bash plate, it extends under the bike and Judging by how dirty it got, it certainly stops a lot of muck off the back roads.

I’ve seen the threads on moving the bars back including Roy’s excellent detailed posts. I will certainly give it a go. I had the Motone risers on with the normal bars and it’s amazing how much difference a few inches make [insert joke here].

As for riding in the rain, I’ve decided what’s most important is getting out on the bike. I commuted in all weathers for over 15 years on bikes and got soft when I got a car; bikes became a leisure item. Still like good gear though and it’s important to be warm. Most impressive things were my Barbour international bike jacket and Dainese textile pants, totally dry underneath! The muffs are possibly the least aesthetically pleasing things ever made but they help with the rain and aid the excellent factory heated grips. Heated insoles are completely uncool but are great for morale.

Next for me will be the footboards .... don’t know how they manage to cost as much as they do but they’ll definitely work well with the bars from what I’ve read here and experienced on the bike now.

I’ve attached two pics where the paint rubbed off from the pannier ?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.