Bad Instinct - Triumph Bobber Forum
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bad Instinct

Yesterday's ride was absolutely fantastic winding through the curvy hills of western Wisconsin with my riding buddy. We managed to knock out the last 2 rustic roads we needed to ride through in order to earn a special patch from the State for riding 10 of them. We followed that up with a delicious brisket cheeseburger at a funky bar called Bucknuckles, a must see destination for anyone traveling in the area. After our late lunch we split ways as he headed back to Minnesota and I headed back north to home. Unfortunately our rides home ended differently. His was dry and uneventful. Mine was rainy and ended badly.

A group of 20 Harleys had left the bar about 10 minutes ahead of me and I caught up to them about 10 minutes later, as they were riding a lot slower than me as they were negotiating the curvy roads in a pack. After riding behind them for 5-10 minutes they went right while my GPS sent me left. I was already running an hour later than expected and the rain had started coming down as I was riding with the Harley pack. I knew the pack and I were going to end up reconnecting on the same highway heading north, so I was also in a rush to get ahead of them. Needless to say, rushing in the rain is a bad idea. I pulled up to a stop sign at a T-intersection. Turned right and cracked the throttle as I usually do. This time, however, the rear tire slid out to my left and I instinctively cut the throttle completely which caused the tires to regain traction almost immediately which is NOT what you want to happen when your momentum is going forward and your bike is sideways. I was catapulted into the air and landed about 10 ft (3 meters) ahead of the bike. My poor bike is pretty banged up. Lots of scrapes and bent handlebars, and the worst part was a broken off shifter peg. I was able to work the remainder of the shift lever to ride 30 miles in the rain to my buddy's parents' house. I was able to leave my bike in their garage and his dad took me to the hospital.

Thank God I was geared up as always, so my only damage personally is a torn ligament between my right thumb and hand, which the emergency room doctor believes will require surgery to fix. Probably the end of my riding season for this year, but some very good lessons learned. Use Rain Mode in the rain, take your time because getting home an hour or 2 late but safely is a lot faster than a visit to the hospital (in addition to the time spent dealing with a broken bike) and stay smooth with the throttle at ALL times even when your instinct is to do otherwise. And most important of all, wear all then gear all the time. My helmet, gloves and chaps saved me from a much worse fate, for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helmet 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	37681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Helmet 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	37683  

Each one matters.
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:21 PM
GPz

Oh man, very sorry to hear that! Glad you were geared-up well and it wasn't any worse.

Great point about RAIN mode. That may well have saved you from going down.

-GPz/Gary

PS: Consider replacing but saving your banged-up helmet. I often wish I'd kept mine.
Bobber-Bomb, ysoslo and Johnny like this.

Last edited by GPz; 09-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi @ysoslo ,

That is awful, really sorry to hear this mate. I am of course pleased that you weren't too badly injured, so that's the silver lining. Sad to hear the Bobber is banged up though.

Let us all know if there is anything you need.

Cheerio,

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

So sorry to hear this @ysoslo . Hope you and the bike get better soon. I hit the Like button out of solidarity, not because I like it as such, obviously...
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
So sorry to hear this @ysoslo . Hope you and the bike get better soon. I hit the Like button out of solidarity, not because I like it as such, obviously...

I like that idea about the button @Psychopasta , so I've done the same, good thought.

Cheerio,

Roy
Bobber-Bomb and ysoslo like this.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
Wow. That is some story. Lessons learned for sure, about riding and gear. So glad it turned out “reasonably “ ok for you personally although the ligament issue must be painful. As you said it could have been much worse if not for the gear. ATTGAT is my way of riding not only to keep some peace in the household but, I’ll choose damage to the machine than to my person anytime. Let us know how you get on both with yourself and the Bobber.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Really sorry and a shock to read that.

Glad you’re ok and another big like here for the solidarity of the forum.
As much as I hate to read posts like this, thank you for sharing what happened and the conclusions; we can all learn from it.

Heal fast !
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
Man.. ysoslo that sucks!

As said above, I also truly hate reading these types of things!

But, it is a reality check.

Your story and subsequent injury, and damages to you equipment and bike, serves to remind me that we push the envelope every time we get on these bikes. One moment of forgetting that, and pushing a bit harder, can have long lasting consequences.

ysoslo, I am glad you came through that in one piece! I wish you a speedy recovery.

It sucks about the bike, but, it can be fixed..

Keep us posted on your diagnosis, and when you get to the bike, post a list, hopefully some of us can help.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Glad you’re okay! At least you’ll have time to fix the bike while you mend - trying to look at the positives.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:31 PM

You’re walking away from it which makes you a lucky man! My buddy hit 2 deer 🦌 on the highway a couple of weeks ago and died instantly. My other buddy went off the road this weekend and lost a leg and his chin. We all know the risks of riding, but walking away with a torn ligament is what I call lucky. How’s your mirrors, signals? I have lots of parts you can have for the price of shipping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page