Road trip! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Road trip!

Just about ready for my road trip. To prep for extended days on the road I have installed a USB adapter to charge cell phone that can be unplugged at a standard 2 prong battery charger type connector so I can also plug in a batt charger or air pump. I have also installed a hard mount Garmin Zumo mount for my Zumo 295...just in case I ever get lost.... what are the odds of that! Next up was the Hepco Becker luggage rack behind the seat. I've had this rack on for about a week now and am really starting to like it and the look. Took advantage of the A&J discount and got the Monza gas cap and the Cone Engineering Martini mufflers in black...of course. Mounted both, like both. Looking forward to not having to remove the key to gas up. The Martini pipes sound way different than the stock, and I liked the sound of the stock. The Martini pipes are a bit louder but not obnoxious, I can hear more of the exhaust sound and not as much of the air box sound vs. stock. And I don't notice any difference in how the engine performs, might even run better, but as of right now I have only rode a few blocks down the street and back, time will tell. Petty sure I lost a few pounds vs. the stock mufflers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dc9.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	31563   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dcc.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	31565   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dd2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	31567   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dcf.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	31569   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dda.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	31571  

Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ddb.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	31573   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dd4.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	31575   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dd5.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	31577   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dd6.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	31579   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_dd8.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	31581  

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

And I'm also going to Slime my tire tubes
DanFromVegas likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:20 AM

Garage
Looks like you’re set to go. Smallest investment for biggest return IMO, is the Monza gas cap. Worth its weight in gold at every gas stop not having to deal with that key. USB adapter a good choice, too. What’s the planned route?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax5777 View Post
And I'm also going to Slime my tire tubes
Nice adds to the bike! Just a FYI, I used slime years ago in a tube type tire and it interfered enough with the patching of a nail puncture to cause me a day delay and hours on the side of the road. My advice would be to balance conventionally or use dyna beads. Also note that if you charge through your added adapter it may blow a fuse if it is a fused connection. Hmmm...how would I know this? 🤔☹️☹️

Riding Free
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
Looks like you’re set to go. Smallest investment for biggest return IMO, is the Monza gas cap. Worth its weight in gold at every gas stop not having to deal with that key. USB adapter a good choice, too. What’s the planned route?
I'm just a tag along with some friends group ride. 5 day ride from DFW to the hill country west of Austin then to New Braunfels for the weekend and an old school chopper party. Should be fun.
DanFromVegas likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forjox View Post
Nice adds to the bike! Just a FYI, I used slime years ago in a tube type tire and it interfered enough with the patching of a nail puncture to cause me a day delay and hours on the side of the road. My advice would be to balance conventionally or use dyna beads. Also note that if you charge through your added adapter it may blow a fuse if it is a fused connection. Hmmm...how would I know this? 🤔☹️☹️
I'm not using the slime for balancing but more to slow a puncture should I pick up a nail. I carry a CO2 kit to air up and now with the hard wired plug I can take one of my electric air pumps. Just "get me home" insurance. I would never use slime in a tubeless tire as the mess is not worth it when you can just plug and go but with a tube it could be the difference between sitting at the side of the road or getting to the next town or home. On the down side, I have had the slime foul the valve stem core, just doing its job.
Forjox likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Have you test fit anything to the Becker rack? Do you think a standard size book bag/back pack would fit without issue?

Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tree View Post
Have you test fit anything to the Becker rack? Do you think a standard size book bag/back pack would fit without issue?

Thanks in advance.
I was surprised by the size of the rack, it is actually a bit bigger than pics make it seem. I'm going to strap a 25 liter dry bag to it, which fits with ease. I think I could probably use my 40 liter.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

muffler update

Went on a little 100 mile romp around the metroplex today running errands and I stand corrected. The martini's are quite a bit louder than stock. They have a nice note and I can hear each cylinder hitting now where the stock was muffled. And as stated before, I liked the sound of the stock also. Performance is pretty much unaffected, get an occasional pop from the exhaust, usually when shifting gears.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax5777 View Post
I was surprised by the size of the rack, it is actually a bit bigger than pics make it seem. I'm going to strap a 25 liter dry bag to it, which fits with ease. I think I could probably use my 40 liter.
Thanks. I think I will drop in on one. I am doing an “up the California coast” this summer for my 50th birthday.

Safe adventures to you.