Psychopasta's Build Thread - Triumph Bobber Forum
 158Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Psychopasta's Build Thread

So I am finally starting my own modifications, after watching everyone else. My goal is to install footboards, heel&toe shifter, dresser bars, all that kind of thing. First job is getting her racked up safely on my ramp.

Rolled her onto ramp, rested her on the sidestand. Put bike jack under the engine, with teenage boy holding bike upright and raised the rear. Put the paddock stand under her to hold, and removed jack. Then added tie downs and front wheel chocks.

My next trick is to take lots of pictures before I start work so I have something to come back to when/if I **** up. So here they are:

post #2 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The only tools you need are metric sockets and spanners, Allen keys and Torx bits. This one was from Amazon:

The seat is held on by three Torx bolts, and the tank by two metric bolts

I removed the seat, and rethreaded the bolts into it for safekeeping, Makes it much easier when it's due to go back on:

Prop the rear of the tank up with a handy piece of wood:

You can see the black connector for the fuel line. Now removing this is tricky, but not that hard. There's a great thread here: https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...oved-tank.html.

You have to pull the connector cover back, press the two side buttons simultaneously, and pull the connector off. The tricky bit is that the pipe the connector is fitted onto is quite long, and you have to pull STRAIGHT up: any sideways force will be resisted and you'll think the connector wont come off. It does require a good push to start, and my top tip is that when you notice that the sliding cover won't slide back into place, you have successfully dislodged the connector and it's ready for the Long Pull. The two white connectors in the background are for the fuel sensor and pump, and these come off easily once you realize that the black connectors are fitted into the white ones.

This shows them disconnected, and also note the painter's tape around the fuel pipe to prevent dust getting in, and to help me find it next time. On the other (left) side of the tank there is a breather pipe that is just push-fit to the tank. I also sealed that with painter's tape to remind me to reattach it when the tank goes back on:

Johnny and ArmchairHero like this.

Last edited by Psychopasta; 02-24-2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Finally, with the tank removed I put the two tank mounting bolts back into the frame so they don't get lost:

and had a general tidy up, ready for the next day of fun. Beer o'clock!
eisen77, ysoslo, Roy and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 PM
Roy

Garage
Well done indeed.

The very best of luck old chap and will look forward to seeing how the progress goes.

Cheerio,

Roy
Psychopasta likes this.
post #5 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Enjoy the mods.
post #6 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Thank you for sharing this. Good job , and good luck ...
post #7 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 PM

Garage
Great start to your build thread! Can't wait to see the progress and final outcome.

Each one matters.
post #8 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:11 PM

Very good job of step-by-step. The best I've seen so far. Subscribed and will check in regularly. Thank you Psycho.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red
post #9 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:34 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Psychopasta,

Taking photos is a good idea, I think I will remember everything but then when putting stuff back together realize my memory isn't (never was) that good.

Looking forward to haring how you get on with installing the footboards. I recently took mine off and completely stripped them down to get most of the components powder coated black. I was shocked at how many parts there were.

Enjoying the updates, so keep up with the good work.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #10 of 130 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I think the next thrilling installment will be at the weekend. Stay tuned!
ysoslo and Roy like this.