Upgraded horn - Triumph Bobber Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By ajax5777
  • 1 Post By Psychopasta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Upgraded horn

I have used these horns on every bike I've owned for several years now, love them. Deep throaty sound and LOUD. On my Bobber Black it was about a 5 minute swap out. The night before though I did give the horn a couple coats of Rustoleum Truck bed liner paint to cover up the shiny silver parts of the horn. And I could do a whole thread on the Rustoleum bed liner paint, I LOVE that sh... stuff. I even painted my '77 Sportster with it. Anyway, here are a few pics. I mounted it on the aft side of the stock bracket due to space limitations. Not sure about overseas but in the states I buy these horns on Amazon for $17 US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d9a.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	30623   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d9b.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	30625   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_da0.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	30627   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_da1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	30629  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:45 AM

I added the same to mine, the weedy oem horn is embarrassing. £13.27 on Amazon's UK site. They do a low tone and a high tone version. I went with the low. It works really well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's_yer_firkin View Post
I added the same to mine, the weedy oem horn is embarrassing. £13.27 on Amazon's UK site. They do a low tone and a high tone version. I went with the low. It works really well.
I used the same. The tone sounds a bit boring IMHO, so Iím ordering a High tone match to add to the mix. Iíve had the pair on other bikes and it was the best ďhere I amĒ Iíve seen.

Riding Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forjox View Post
I used the same. The tone sounds a bit boring IMHO, so Iím ordering a High tone match to add to the mix. Iíve had the pair on other bikes and it was the best ďhere I amĒ Iíve seen.
I did consider that, but I am not sure if it would require a relay. The current draw I saw elsewhere is supposed to be 6A for a single horn. 12A would be a lot of current for the switch to handle.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
I did consider that, but I am not sure if it would require a relay. The current draw I saw elsewhere is supposed to be 6A for a single horn. 12A would be a lot of current for the switch to handle.
Iíll be doing a little research about this and use a relay if needed. Yes...12amps on the switch seems too high.

Riding Free
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forjox View Post
I used the same. The tone sounds a bit boring IMHO, so I’m ordering a High tone match to add to the mix. I’ve had the pair on other bikes and it was the best “here I am” I’ve seen.
I have done this same upgrade on every bike I’ve owned and they’ve all required a relay.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:36 PM

I ended up putting a Thunderbird horn on mine and well pleased. Anything is better than that 'squeaker' stock one.

Most men that do thrive in the world do forget to take pleasure during the time they're getting their estate, but reserve that til they have got one, and then it is too late to enjoy it. Samuel Pepys
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Here are mine mounted forward.

Stebel magnum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Horns.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	30919  

Last edited by chezqui; 02-16-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know why bike manufacturers use these ridiculous Noddys-Little-Car horns. It may save thrupence (American friends: a dime) but it's a major safely feature.

When I was buying my Goldwing, the dealer made a point of showing off that thing's horn. It's like a Mack truck, just like a bike horn should be.
Bob's_yer_firkin likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Had to relocate my blaster horn again after install the small dresser bars. It wasn't that hard, just and extended piece of flat steel with a twist. I did have to get a little creative on the rubber mounting for the horn itself. I really don't like the location and see a possible new location at the front top of the radiator....maybe next week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_db1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	30923   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_db3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	30925  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page