Another Airbox Delete project - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Another Airbox Delete project

This frigid weather has me going to the garage far too often. After cleaning up the tail mount, and swapping out the saddle and bag - the only low cost freebie I could think to do was the airbox delete. So while I had it up on the lift, I began dismantling the covers and bits. I finally finished it up. I must say, it really enhances the bike more than I realized it would. I was a bit on the fence, until I finished. Overall, an easy job.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	30427   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	30429  
Bobber-Bomb, Roy, jefros and 1 others like this.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrb View Post
This frigid weather has me going to the garage far too often. After cleaning up the tail mount, and swapping out the saddle and bag - the only low cost freebie I could think to do was the airbox delete. So while I had it up on the lift, I began dismantling the covers and bits. I finally finished it up. I must say, it really enhances the bike more than I realized it would. I was a bit on the fence, until I finished. Overall, an easy job.

What did you end up doing with the wiring?

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 PM

Very neat David but the red has to go IMO.

Chico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:26 AM

Garage
Quote:

Love the red. What are those?

So long, and thanks for all the fish!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcath View Post
Love the red. What are those?

K&N filters are expensive. I wasn't sure what size and shape I wanted to eventually go with, so for the mock-up, I decided to experiment with these oval set of filters that are designed for a Honda CB500. The ovals are a perfect fit, give a good amount of air without being too much - and due to the flatness of the sides, will not hit your leg in any way.

Personally, I like the red too... it brings out the color of the seat. I just found they make it in black, I may do a swap out to see if I like it better.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.

Last edited by davidrb; 01-25-2019 at 06:38 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Black North View Post
What did you end up doing with the wiring?

Yeah.... that's a challenge. I ain't paying over $200 USD for piece of plastic. My initial idea: I purchased leather motorcycle bar bag (5" by 3") off Amazon for cheap ($15). I'm going to cut a slit in the back and fish all the wires and fuses into the bag. I haven't received the bag yet, but will post my results.
Great Black North likes this.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah.... that's a challenge. I ain't paying over $200 USD for piece of plastic. My initial idea: I purchased leather motorcycle bar bag (5" by 3") off Amazon for cheap ($15). I'm going to cut a slit in the back and fish all the wires and fuses into the bag. I haven't received the bag yet, but will post my results.
Smart and resourceful.
Great Black North likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Personally, I like the red too... it brings out the color of the seat. I just found they make it in black, I may do a swap out to see if I like it better.

You can also dye the filters. I used RIT synthetic dye for my crankcase filter and it worked perfectly.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
That sounds like a good idea! can't wait to see it.

I was of the same thinking, not paying 200 for a piece of plastic, but would like to do something different with the arrangement I have atm.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thats one clean chain, davidrb..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page