License mount hacksaw fix - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By davidrb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

License mount hacksaw fix

Until I determine my next move on tidying up the tail section, I had been staring at the huge "cross" hanging on the back of my bike. It's so prominent, I was starting to feel like crossing myself and confessing each time I walked behind the bike.

After smoking an ample amount of cigars in my "man cave garage" and admiring the problem, I decided to go the absolute cheapest, and simplest route and pull out my hacksaw. Mind you, I had no idea what the internal structure of the bracket housing looked like, so chose my cut lines purely on the the logical angles of mount.

I started from underneath, and slowly worked upwards. The bracket, plate light, and top cover pretty much fell apart in my hands after it cleared the seams. I was a bit surprised that the back of the bracket is held on by a rivet, but no matter, it didn't get in the way, and worked out in the end just fine. I filed the edges smooth and made sure they lined up, then used clear Silicone to secure the top and bottom plastic box back together. I also used Silicone to re-attach the rubber plug on the end.

To give it a finished look, I used black moldable glue to cover the holes in the rubber plug, and to seal the hole left underneath the tail housing caused by removing the plastic. This gave it a finished look, and will prevent moisture from entering housing. I had two license plate reflector screws left over in my parts bin, which filled two leftover holes in the plug.

Again, this quick fixed worked out pretty good considering I had all the materials on-hand, and did it during a snow storm. It was literally a 1-cigar job.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tail1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	30237   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	30239   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	30241  

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 PM

Well.... it's a step in the right direction!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:09 PM
GPz

Well, it looks better than it did before! Besides, you're not a real motorcyclist until you've chopped something off one of your bikes with a hacksaw.

Hey, this reminds me - I got really drunk one night and some gay dudes talked me into putting a sissy bar on my Bobber Black. Should I hack-saw it off or just use it for my backpack?

-GPz/Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:28 AM

Triumph actually sell the bits you need to do this properly,it’s part of the side mount licence plate kit as when you fit that you no longer need the “cross” or the old license plate light.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

I figured anything that I had to buy from Triumph, would take away from my taillight replacement fund. Then I'd have to drop the wheel and blah blah blah. Besides, as pointed out, unless you are grinding and sawing on your bike, it's not really yours. LOL

Keep the sissy bar - if it wasn't cool, It wouldn't have been popular in the 70's.
ysoslo likes this.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Garage
I would like to see a picture of sissy bar. I thought about making me one so I could hang a backpack off of it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page