Until I determine my next move on tidying up the tail section, I had been staring at the huge "cross" hanging on the back of my bike. It's so prominent, I was starting to feel like crossing myself and confessing each time I walked behind the bike.
After smoking an ample amount of cigars in my "man cave garage" and admiring the problem, I decided to go the absolute cheapest, and simplest route and pull out my hacksaw. Mind you, I had no idea what the internal structure of the bracket housing looked like, so chose my cut lines purely on the the logical angles of mount.
I started from underneath, and slowly worked upwards. The bracket, plate light, and top cover pretty much fell apart in my hands after it cleared the seams. I was a bit surprised that the back of the bracket is held on by a rivet, but no matter, it didn't get in the way, and worked out in the end just fine. I filed the edges smooth and made sure they lined up, then used clear Silicone to secure the top and bottom plastic box back together. I also used Silicone to re-attach the rubber plug on the end.
To give it a finished look, I used black moldable glue to cover the holes in the rubber plug, and to seal the hole left underneath the tail housing caused by removing the plastic. This gave it a finished look, and will prevent moisture from entering housing. I had two license plate reflector screws left over in my parts bin, which filled two leftover holes in the plug.
Again, this quick fixed worked out pretty good considering I had all the materials on-hand, and did it during a snow storm. It was literally a 1-cigar job.