Horn upgrade, relocation - Triumph Bobber Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Horn upgrade, relocation

Still on track with my "cheap and easy" mods. One of the early on mods that I usually do on my motorcycles is horn upgrade. Since this was an old school bike, I wanted to try and keep the theme going - so that eliminates most air horns. Since there is no room for a Klaxon - I drew my inspiration from Excelsior Henderson, which was known for putting a big chrome horn up front, near the headlight. Since there was no such place available on the Triumph, I found the radiator bolt very convenient for mounting my new ($12) horn. Best part, I easily re-routed the horn wires and reused the connectors without needing to cut or splice.

As far as sound upgrade, it's about the same pitch, and probably between 5-10db louder due to the larger size, but it didn't require a relay.

Question: I think the chrome works with the other chrome and stainless bits. But I'm toying with the idea of either bronzing, or blackening out the chrome cover. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horn01.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	29999   Click image for larger version

Name:	horn02.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	30001  
Roy likes this.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:10 PM

Obstructing the radiator air flow is a negative for me, I know i'm nitpicking. I would definitely make it black unless you want it to stand out. My eyes are drawn to the horn rather than the beautiful bike.
Weren't you supposed to get a new saddle?

Chico
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:52 PM

I’ve put the Denali mini sound bomb on my last few bikes, mainly because of LA traffic. Its in the stock location on my bobber, but I’ve been considering moving it somewhere more hidden.

It’s the loudest non air that I’ve found.

It changes your horn from “excuse me, pardon me” to “HERE I AM”.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	060AC621-52DF-41A2-8ED7-FFE02C05A8FE_1546307473297.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	30003  
TheBigGuy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 PM

Garage
Iíd go black. Otherwise, IMO, it draws too much attention to itself.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:22 AM

I'm noisy, I have twin horns
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2019-01-01 at 10.19.59.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	30005  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I wasn't sure about the chrome, so I will see how it looks painted black.
As far as radiator obstruction, it's not an issue. There is ample air flow around and behind the horn. Many motorcycle models come stock with a the horn located in front of the radiator.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Personally, Iím not a fan of it in that location nor the chrome color (Iím an avid chrome hater )
Obviously we all have different taste and preferences; I chose to relocate and hide the OEM horn with the Wunderkind bracket.

I think it would look a lot better in black, if youíre going to leave it in front of the radiator. Just my opinion, of course
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Personally, Iím not a fan of it in that location nor the chrome color (Iím an avid chrome hater )
Obviously we all have different taste and preferences; I chose to relocate and hide the OEM horn with the Wunderkind bracket.

I think it would look a lot better in black, if youíre going to leave it in front of the radiator. Just my opinion, of course
Not sure why youíd need a different bracket to relocate the horn..... I just spun the stock bracket around and now the horn sits behind the radiator

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Obstructing the radiator air flow is a negative for me, I know i'm nitpicking. I would definitely make it black unless you want it to stand out. My eyes are drawn to the horn rather than the beautiful bike.
Weren't you supposed to get a new saddle?

Chico

hi Chico,

Yes, new saddle and saddle bag via La Rosa. I'm still awaiting its arrival. They offered an "in-stock" item, but i'm not in any hurry. I'll wait for the custom made one. Yay 2019.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Not sure why youíd need a different bracket to relocate the horn..... I just spun the stock bracket around and now the horn sits behind the radiator

That's a nice trick, and it's possible if the black doesn't work out better, I may move the horn as you did behind the radiator. I like my new horn though, so will definitely use it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page