Cleaned the down pipes. - Triumph Bobber Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DOCGSS
  • 1 Post By Bobber-Bomb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Cleaned the down pipes.

Oven cleaner and a linen cloth got the sticky remains of my bike cover off my down pipes. They almost look good as new now. I'm an idiot and thank you internet.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:32 AM

Garage
I did the same **** thing. melted cheap poly cover to top of pipes.
I used 2000 grit wet/dry paper. I like your solution MUCH better.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 AM

When I first get a bike I use Glare + Polish on all surfaces even the exhaust pipe and headers. I recently dropped a purple microfiber towel on the header of my new Bobber. It melted instantly as I had just turned off the bike after a long ride. I waited until it cooled and it peeled of without a trace. Glare seems to really work in coating surfaces and bonding to them. It withstands heat and the shine is unrivaled with the other products I have tried. It saved me from having to use a razor blade to remove the meted plastic. I reapplied the Glare to the pipe to be sure.
Hassc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Kaj

Piece of sugar is also very handy...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM

Oven cleaner and linen cloth... never thought of using that combination before. Don't beat yourself up too much about it, we all do stupid things from time to time
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:10 AM

It might to test this out for yourself on a small area that won't be noticed easily if you don't get the outcome you want due to the chemicals in it. Always helps to be on the safe side
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:06 AM

so i was wiping down my tank with a microfiber towel and i accidentally had the towel touch and melt on the hot exhaust header. was really bad, i mean it was caked on! luckilly the internet to the rescue (as i thought to myself, this has had to have happened to somebody else). saw many options to try, like the oven cleaner, acetone/nail polish remover, steel wool, etc. however, the only item i had was nail polish remover. so i tried that, but had no impact on the melted caked on plastic. i then came across information of using a copper penny to scrape off the residue. they actually stopped making pennies out of copper a while back, so it was noted to use like a penny dated before 1987. didn't have anything older, so figured, i would just try any old penny. luckilly it worked like a charm! and no scratching of the stock header. after i scraped off the residue, i then polished the pipes with metal polish. will definitely be more careful about using those microfiber towels, as i never really gave it any thought but they are mostly made of polyester (basically plastic). best advice is to wait til the bike cools down before any wiping down.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 AM

Garage
Cleaning Headers

Hi All,

Check out this video, itís for a different exhaust system mounted on a T120 but the advice it gives is sound. Iíve been using Autosol on my pipes since I bought the bobber and it works a treat!

Warthog likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Flitz metal polish is actually really darn good as well. Very easy on and off and shines brilliantly. There's also Mothers metal polish as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page