Bobber Black - so so brakes - Triumph Bobber Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Bobber Black - so so brakes

Had a closer look to the Bobber Black at my dealer today. It was presented back to back with an original Bobber in his showroom!

First of all I must state: Because I didn't find a convinient upgrade for my weak single rotor brake, I initally was yet thinking about swaping over to the Bobber Black, when it was announced! But for my taste the double rotor on the fat front wheel was much to dominant and it compromised the nice drum brake look of the sinle rotor hub! So I decided to keep my original Bobber, and kept on trying to gain the braking performance of my single rotor setup. And at the end I succeeded with the fat Brembo P4 34/34 Supermoto caliper and finally got the much desired two finger front brake!

Nevertheless: As the bad braking performance of the single rotor front brake was the most criticized point of the original Bobber, and because all the professional reviewers claimed a double disk rotor setup (wrongly thinking this was the only way to get a convinient front brake) this was one of the most important things on Triumph's to do list for their new Bobber version.

So when I jumped on the new Bobber Black the first thing I touched was the front brake lever! I was very interested on it's feel and expected a propper hydraulic ratio cause to the doubled caliper piston area! But to my surprise it didn't feel other than at the original Bobber!!!

A closer look at the main cylinder showed: 5/8

Man, they equipped the Bobber Black with a 5/8 inch main cylinder! Holy crap! Together with the small 28mm caliper pistons of the floating Brembo calipers this gives a hydraulic ratio of 12.4, which is better than on the original Bobber (7.4), but again far away from the desired 15-18 for a dual rotor setup! This is very odd!

If I baught a Bobber Black I would immediately swap the main cylinder over to the mc of the original Bobber, as this would give me a hydraulic ratio of 16, which was close to optimum!

Cheers,

Werner Wernersen
ysoslo and MikeB like this.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting comparison - thanks for sharing.
I also prefer the single disc setup and look forward to trying out the 6 pot caliper when it arrives.
Some reviews have mentioned that despite a dual setup and beefier front forks, braking still falls short of expectations.

Did you by any chance feel the throttle grip on the Black?
I wrote about it here
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

No I didn't, sorry! I remembered why I got to the dealer and signed the sales contract for my brand new Thruxton R

But by the way: I didn't have any troubles with the throttle at my Bobber! Checked it in my garage to be shure, and my throttle has minimal radial play. I even would say, there shouldn't be less! It has some axial play, but this could be adjusted easily by shifting the rubber slightly on the tube....

I guess the different feel of the trottles could be caused by slightly different mounting positions of the throttle body on the bar?! Don't worry to much about, you will be able to fix that easily! Give it a try! The dealers sometimes don't exercise much care when the assemble bikes right out of the box...

Werner Wernersen
eisen77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the Thruxton!
A fantastic looking bike and I understand it goes as well as it looks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Bring this back from the dead. Interesting idea of swapping the MC out. Looking at the parts list price isn't too bad. I always hated the feel of the brake even compared to my '78 CB750 with single disc/single piston brake. Anyone try this? I'm assuming the MC from the original bobber to the BB is a straight swap?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:30 PM
GPz

I don't even get what this is about. Are your pads glazed or something? Did you get oil on them?

The front brakes on my Black are absolutely excellent. I can get the ABS to come on at will; what else could you want? To flip over the handlebars? For the brakes to work significantly better the bike would need to be lighter and/or the front tire would need to be softer; it's physics 101. What are you guys comparing it to, an HP4-Race or something?

Let's be honest, some people just have more money than they know what to do with.

-GPz/Gary
Bobber-Bomb and DanFromVegas like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 PM
GPz

Maybe it's a grip strength issue. If you can't get your ABS to come on easily, it's definitely a grip strength issue. Here's the solution for that and they are the best brand out there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captains-of...ss!44224!US!-1

-GPz/Gary
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Nice one Gary. It might be years of riding Guzzis, but I have zero problems with my Bobber's brakes, or with getting the ABS to trigger. YMMV.
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz View Post
Maybe it's a grip strength issue. If you can't get your ABS to come on easily, it's definitely a grip strength issue. Here's the solution for that and they are the best brand out there:

-GPz/Gary

LOL..Maybe my grip strength is too strong Lever feels a little mushy to me. I know it's comparing apples to oranges..bike stops ok but given the hardware upgrade on it I was hoping for a little better.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't even get what this is about. Are your pads glazed or something? Did you get oil on them?

The front brakes on my Black are absolutely excellent. I can get the ABS to come on at will; what else could you want? To flip over the handlebars? For the brakes to work significantly better the bike would need to be lighter and/or the front tire would need to be softer; it's physics 101. What are you guys comparing it to, an HP4-Race or something?

Let's be honest, some people just have more money than they know what to do with.

-GPz/Gary
Quote:

-GPz/Gary

It’s a lot to do with feel AT the lever and not just stopping power and distance.
The OEM brakes are wooden and lack any sort of sensitivity. And for me the pads lacked initial bite and power.
I like to graduate my braking with some degree of finesse and YES I like to use one or two fingers.
My racing GSXR1000 had a pro brembo setup and that gave me arm pump after 2 sessions on the track. It was brutal braking before a marker, but trained my arms and body well for braking forces and to appreciate sensitivity.

I could easily get the ABS to activate with stock Bobber setup - but that is far from the point.
It feels woeful & built to a budget for a 2017, modern bike on any level you care to mention.

The FreeSpirits setup brings it up to satisfactory levels and their rear setup is brilliant too.

I don’t think it’s fair to generalize and say it’s a case of someone having “too much money”.
It’s about getting the maximum enjoyment from a stunning bike and for me, improving safety on the way.
If you’re happy with the stock setup, great.
Forjox and 2ees1f like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page