Ohlins reviews? - Triumph Bobber Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Ohlins reviews?

A couple people have purchased the Ohlins rear shock but I haven't seen any reviews on the forum yet. Does anyone have any feedback on how the Ohlins compares to the Fox or Wilbers? I had Ohlins suspensions on my last 3 sport bikes so I'm pretty confident in their product I'm just wondering how they match up to the other options. Thanks.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

I have no experience comparing it to the Fox or Wilbers, which I'm sure are ace, but I am very happy with my Ohlins. I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with any of the three, but like you I had confidence in the brand so I went Ohlins.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:49 AM

I can't really comment on the Ohlins rear shock as I fitted a Nitron to mine which is ace. To be honest I think if you are going to the expense of fitting an aftermarket shock it is worth the extra to get one with adjustable pre-load. The Fox afaik is only adjustable for damping. The Nitron and Wilbers are built to your weight. I would assume they do the same with Ohlins?

I can comment on the Ohlins front fork kit which is astonishingly good. It has transformed the front end. The only downside is getting the factory bolts out of the fork legs. They are tighter than a gnats chuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Sub

Bob how much did those set you back? Is the install hard other than the bolts? I think Ohlins is the only company making front suspension for us?!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Matris also make front suspension.
I highly recommend you buy the Ohlins, though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Bob how much did those set you back? Is the install hard other than the bolts? I think Ohlins is the only company making front suspension for us?!
They were not cheap. I cant recall now what I paid as I had a bit of a dispute with the vendor. They advertised them as including springs, but these it turns out have to be bought separately so we had a bit of an argument over cost. I was going to tell him he could keep his dampers, but he agreed to split the difference. I think it was around the £600 mark. I have seen them advertised for around £560 in Ebay but I dont knoif if thats including springs.

Installation is relatively straightforward. The Ohlins instructions are good. The worst part is getting the bolts out of the bottom of the forks. Initially i tried an 8mm allen wrench cut off and an 8mm Snap On impact socket. I have an 18V DeWalt 1/2" impact. I gave it full power and the result was the allen wrench looking like a licorice twist. In the end I had to drill the bolt heads out and get some new ones. This was a pita as they are metric super fine m10x1.0 and I didn't want to pay Triumph prices so had to get them from Ebay. Other than that it was relatively easy. You need to order springs that match your weight. The kit isn't cheap, but it is a vast improvement on stock. The damping is far better controlled and makes regular roads feel so much smoother.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:56 PM

Wilber also has the zero friction progressive spring for the front suspension. That’s what iam using. Don’t know if they have it for the BB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36748F44-03AD-4D29-9A5E-86C42DD653F9_1570222545176.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	38617  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Vendor

Have installed a few on local customer bikes to rave reviews. Can’t go wrong for a full feature shock with threaded preload and adjustable rebound built to your specs for under $600 (and that ships in 1 day)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinasBobber17 View Post
Wilber also has the zero friction progressive spring for the front suspension. Thatís what iam using. Donít know if they have it for the BB.
I inquired and they do not have a option for the bobber black as it has different front shocks.

A&J, is that the ohlins? have a link to the install guide?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page