8Likes
  • 3 Post By derchef62
  • 2 Post By derchef62
  • 2 Post By eisen77
  • 1 Post By Niiick

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Wilber 540

I have seen some posts about that rear shock but let me open a new one to tell you my first hand experience:

My Wilbers 540 was fitted last week since then I did about 400 kms with it and the shock as good as I expected it to be. The handling of the bike has improved, potholes or road bumps do not hit me as hard as they did with the OEM shock. All in all a big improvement.

I paid 400 Euros for the shock and about another 100 Euros to get it fitted ( I am gifted with two left hands so I leave fitting things like that to my trusted garage). At least in Germany Wilbers wants to know the weight of the rider in full gear so the shock comes pre-adjusted directly from the factory. I have a Wilbers 641 on my Tiger and apart from adjusting the pre-load I never changed the other settings. That being so I decided the Wilbers 540 is the right shock for the Bobber as I will not even have to bother with pre-load as the bike never carries any heavy load.

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Nice to get this report. I've been looking at the 540 as a possible alternative to the more expensive 640...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derchef62 View Post
I have seen some posts about that rear shock but let me open a new one to tell you my first hand experience:

My Wilbers 540 was fitted last week since then I did about 400 kms with it and the shock as good as I expected it to be. The handling of the bike has improved, potholes or road bumps do not hit me as hard as they did with the OEM shock. All in all a big improvement.

I paid 400 Euros for the shock and about another 100 Euros to get it fitted ( I am gifted with two left hands so I leave fitting things like that to my trusted garage). At least in Germany Wilbers wants to know the weight of the rider in full gear so the shock comes pre-adjusted directly from the factory. I have a Wilbers 641 on my Tiger and apart from adjusting the pre-load I never changed the other settings. That being so I decided the Wilbers 540 is the right shock for the Bobber as I will not even have to bother with pre-load as the bike never carries any heavy load.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstevetrevor View Post
Nice to get this report. I've been looking at the 540 as a possible alternative to the more expensive 640...

Talked to the Wilbers guys here in Germany before I ordered the shock. They said that the 540 is the one you need, the 640 does offer settings you will not need with the Bobber. Make sure that the shock is pre-set to your weight.
majstevetrevor and Niiick like this.

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

I’m pretty sure most of us would never be able to tell the difference between the 540 and 640 if we did a blindfold test. For the type of riding I do, I would not have gone for the 643 competition shock.
For me, preload & rebound (especially rebound on the Bobber) always nice to play with once in a while just to fine tune the handling. But again, that kind of tinkering is only for those who enjoy doing it; otherwise the 540 will function and do the job just as well as the 640 (IMHO).
*just to state: I have not touched the preload once since receiving my 640.

Wilbers make fantastic quality shocks and once I felt how it improved my Bobber I ordered a full set for my GSA, which was also totally transformed (even more so than the Bobber!)
majstevetrevor and Niiick like this.

Last edited by eisen77; 07-17-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:31 AM

I've been pondering Wilbers 640 vs. 540 so this is very timely and helpful. Thank you!
eisen77 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
Personally I chose the 640. I donít intend on playing a lot with it despite knowing if it was a MTB where I love to play with spring rates, dampening, rebound and pressures it would be a different story.

I simply chose what I felt would be the best option without needing to change again (and incur additional cost) but never less agree that the 540 given the quality of wilbers tuning is probably equally sufficient if tuned for static weight and riding conditions that you are happy with.

a juicy red apple is nice... but not every apple is red
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Garage
It's a shame they don't do a Nightline version of the 540.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 PM

What spring rate did they fit?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page