Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Pushed the button on a new shock

6K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Birdy 
#1 ·
So, I've just placed my order for a custom Hagon rear shock built to accommodate my current fighting weight when geared up. Really helpful chap on the phone and roughly a week turnaround for it to be built and shipped, although my garage is still pretty chaotic after moving house so I'm not in a huge rush.

While I haven't found the standard shock as terrible as other reports I've read, I can definitely sense the bike getting unsettled over bumpy roads and have hit the stops a few time on larger dips. I've also braced myself for impact on more occasions that I feel I should have so this definitely seems like a sensible move.

I'll do my best to post pictures of the shock when it arrives and unless I forget of the replacement too.

#4 ·
Well, that was a quick turnaround.

I've just had a call to say my shock has been built and is being dispatched today for delivery tomorrow. Now that is what you call service.

Only slight downside is that I'm not really ready to install it yet, my garage is still in post-moving chaso and I was hoping for a few more days :D

Photos and report to follow

#5 ·
Look what arrived today (cue awful unwrapping type post).

Looks great and feels nicely heavyweight. Just need to find the opportunity to install it now.

What delights lurk inside?

A springy burrito

Handsome looking thing

Reward time

Attachments

#8 ·
The weekend culminated in a little time fitting the Hagon shock with a buddy. I'm quite new to the motorcycle world so 2 heads is better than one and even then we had a little mishap (bonus points to those who spot it from the photos).

Accessing the necessary bolts was a little more difficult than I thought and we needed to move the swingarm to help line things up but this could possibly be down to the ******* bike lift we employed but needs must.

Side panels and airbox covers off

A bit of wiggling and jiggling and the stock shock was out. There is a huge difference in the heft between the two with the Hagon looking and feeling like the real deal and the OEM feeling a little budget in comparison.

Old hardware

Reverse jiggling and wiggling to put the new one in.

Shiny

Artsy photo of my favourite detail

As for the review of the ride, I will admit it is not what I was expecting. Bearing in mind I'm well over the standard rider weight that the stock shock is supposedly set for, my first ride on the Hagon felt much stiffer in comparison, however I expect this is down to the pre-load being set correctly for my weight and probably more in line with the OEM feel for the majority of riders. Having spent a bit more time on it now, there are lots of smaller road imperfections smoothed out by the Hagon and the ride feels a little more controlled but not quite as plush as I expected (almost definitely set my expectations way too high), I've been bounced around a little bit by hard jolts (crappy English roads) and am still bracing for impact on some sections.

I'm going to give it a few more days riding to see whether I'm just expecting too much before I start thinking about making any adjustments and will document every change I make until I'm a little more satisfied.

Overall though, definitely a better quality piece of hardware, the customer service was fantastic and I'm really pleased I've now got something I can tweak to suit me.

Attachments

#15 ·
Looking at pics of the Matris shock spurred me to give Hagon a call as I noticed it was the other way round but the standard shock mounts piston rod down (if that's the way the describe it), as does the Wilbers on most pictures I've seen. I've only done a few miles but it feels right, if a little stiffer than expected - I think I was expecting a magic carpet ride with how effusive people are after changing the stock unit.

E

#17 ·
Says they use the same shock but with different travel, “...The Speedmaster retains the same rider aids as the Bobber, including ride-by-wire with a choice of two riding modes (Road and Rain), switchable traction control and standard ABS. Both bikes also get a torque-assist clutch and the same underseat suspension - a KYB monoshock. But the Speedmaster's rear shock gets less real wheel travel at 73.3 mm while the Bobber uses the same shock but gets slightly more 77 mm suspension travel...

#21 ·
Fitted the speedy shock today. Not easy to get lined up just using a trolley jack on one side of the bike!
Couple of questions from the pics attached. I managed to pull off a hose from a black canister shaped bit underneath the engine just inside the frame. Any idea what it is and does the hose need to be tightly fitted?
Also with the adjustability- I was hoping for softness so which way should I dial it; clockwise or anti clockwise?
Earlier comments said 4mm less travel- does this mean increased or decreased ground clearance. Sitting on it I seems less bend in my knees when sitting on it with feet on the floor.

Attachments

#24 ·
Birdy, from your pictures, the spring preload adjuster will have to be rotated to the left or counter clockwise as looking from the back of the bike to lighten the preload and essentially making the ride softer. Is there any dampening adjustments as well as the preload? 4mm les travel doesn’t always mean the ride height has to change? But if the ride height has changed, then the shock is probably shorter than the stock unit, or has a softer spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.