Wilbers Upgrade .... Done ...! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Thumbs up Wilbers Upgrade .... Done ...!

Hi Gents,

Well my Wilbers unexpectedly arrived today, quicker than I thoughts, so I set about fitting it.

I did this myself and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it way. I used my jack to carefully lift/lower the back wheel to line up the holes which made this a very easy instal (see pics).

The quality is really clear when compared to the stock shock so just that alone is nice.

I went out for a test ride and met up with my wife for a drink, so she took a photo of me and Charlotte.

Let's face it the stock shock is pants. As I have added more weight to my bike, I could not go for a ride without it bottoming out, no fun at all. It may be just me but the whole bike feels more stable now, especially when hitting bumps around the corners.

Combined with my sprung constructed saddle, sat atop two springs and the new Wilbers, I recon I've got the best possible set up. On my test ride I deliberately aimed for the bumps and the bike just soaked everything up, no issues with handling and no discomfort, it felt like a totally different bike, bigger, more stable and as it should be.

A great upgrade and one I would highly recommend (especially with a sprung saddle).

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 8.03.55 PM.png
Views:	131
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	33927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 8.04.27 PM.png
Views:	124
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	33929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 8.04.06 PM.png
Views:	114
Size:	559.1 KB
ID:	33931   Click image for larger version

Name:	A.png
Views:	111
Size:	813.4 KB
ID:	33933  
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome to hear that.
I totally agree that the bike feels completely different once it’s sprung properly.
Don’t throw away the OEM unit - as you can use it while the Wilbers is being serviced.
ysoslo, JedKnight, Roy and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Awesome to hear that.
I totally agree that the bike feels completely different once itís sprung properly.
Donít throw away the OEM unit - as you can use it while the Wilbers is being serviced.
Thanks for that eisen77,

Good advise indeed.

Cheerio,

Roy
eisen77 and JedKnight like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:19 AM

I had the exact same thoughts. My first ride with the Wilbers felt amazing, and after a month, still impressed me how well it handles over stock.
eisen77 and Roy like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 AM

Garage
Cant wait for mine to arrive... hopefully soon
eisen77 and Roy like this.

a juicy red apple is nice... but not every apple is red
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Roy, what type of shock do you use? Wilbers offers the 640 and the 540 shock (there is also a very expensive competion shock). I am so happy with the fully adjustable Wilbers shock I have in my Tiger 800 and I wonder whether I need a shock rebound damping adjustable as I never change any setting on the tiger apart from preload...so I might get away with the cheaper 540.

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Hi,

I got the 640 Wilbers. I really wanted the option to easily adjust it, so when I'm loading up for camping etc.

Can't wait to get more riding in and see how this performs, I'm already impressed.

Cheerio,

Roy
eisen77 likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Hi Chaps,

Well it was a stunning classic summer morning here in Arizona, so I really needed to go for a ride and try out my new set up a little more. I headed up into the cool mountains just outside of town for those empty, windy roads. I'm totally thrilled with how the bike rides now. In some ways it feels like a different bike, inspiring more confidence. It feels more solid and stable, especially on the corners. The Wilbers shock combined with the sprung seat makes if feel more like a touring bike, you hardly notice any but the most sever bumps and then it's not at all uncomfortable.

Quite frankly I don't think Triumph should sell the Bobber with the sock shock, it's just not up to the job. If I knew then what I know now, it would have been the first upgrade I would have done.

Thanks to all members over this last year who have shared there experience with shock upgrade, it was all really helpful.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 11.40.07 AM.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	33965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 11.39.21 AM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	33967  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Chaps,

Well it was a stunning classic summer morning here in Arizona, so I really needed to go for a ride and try out my new set up a little more. I headed up into the cool mountains just outside of town for those empty, windy roads. I'm totally thrilled with how the bike rides now. In some ways it feels like a different bike, inspiring more confidence. It feels more solid and stable, especially on the corners. The Wilbers shock combined with the sprung seat makes if feel more like a touring bike, you hardly notice any but the most sever bumps and then it's not at all uncomfortable.

Quite frankly I don't think Triumph should sell the Bobber with the sock shock, it's just not up to the job. If I knew then what I know now, it would have been the first upgrade I would have done.

Thanks to all members over this last year who have shared there experience with shock upgrade, it was all really helpful.

Cheerio,

Roy
Roy,in case you're running out of things to change or spend more money on your bike I'd look at the front forks.
Unlike many here, I opted for the Matris shock and also the fork cartridges. Both changes made a much needed
improvement in handling and comfort.

Chico
Roy likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Hi Chico,

Thanks for that good advice mate. I will certainly give it some consideration. Although I have a long list of thins still planned. I'm not done yet...

Cheerio,

Roy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page