Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Hagon shock and TEC fork springs

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  eisen77 
#1 ·
Been doing some lurking and have decided that, as I'm on the husky side of things, I'm going to go for a replacement rear shock better suited to my weight and while I'm at it go for some uprated springs at the front end too.

I hear lots of good things in the forum about the Fox unit but don't believe it will offer a better ride for me at my current fighting weight. I also see a lot of love for the Wilbers but I think it's a bit over my budget, so have opted to go for a Hagon built with a spring more suited to my weight. I've spoken to the guys there a couple of times and they all seem very happy to assist without being pushy. Shame they don't do a darker coloured unit but it's still not a bad looking thing and very reasonably priced.

For the fork 'upgrade' I'm looking at TEC progressive springs, as these should be a straight swap job but wondered if there was any opinion on adding the pre-load adjusters? I'm not overly technical, so the full rebuild with valve emulators etc is probably a bit too much but would the top adjusters be worth the extra £50?

#2 ·
I’m sure the Hagon shock will make a massive difference for you.
As for the top preload adjuster I cannot comment. My feeling is that changing the preload won’t mask the “bounciness” and lack of feel from the front end.
I looked at THIS kit back in the day, but felt that the front was built to such a low budget that it was worthwhile upgrading everything. Otherwise I’d be constantly chasing and fixing small niggly issues which the Ohlins solved in one go.

I asked FreeSpirits back then about the upgrade, but they offered very little information and the lack of enthusiasm in their own kit made me a little suspect !
I do not know anyone who has installed that particular kit.

Please let us know how you get on with the Hagon shock and I hope you find the comfort and smooth ride you’re looking for.

#3 ·
Thanks Eisen

I'm hoping the change to the TEC progressive springs will help at the front end but am just wondering if I'm not doing the full works (for now) whether the preload adjuster is worth doing.

Cheers, Ed

#4 ·
The progressive springs should help some.
A lot of Goldwing users (1800) upgraded to progressive springs and were happy. Well, at least they were until they tried a bike with fully reworked internals and promptly upgraded to those!
The issue on the bike is not only the springs but the rods and internals (and even the oil). It’s simply not good enough to handle our weight AND give a smooth, controlled ride or the uprated brake system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.