Ohlins fork cartridges - Triumph Bobber Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Ohlins fork cartridges

I shouldn't really read this forum you guys are a bad influence on my wallet, Eisen77 especially. His write up on getting Ohlins cartridges fitted encouraged me to do the same.

I bought mine from here We did have a slight misunderstanding over the springs. Its not obvious that you have to buy these separately and there is no way to do that on their web site that I could see, but eventually we came to an understanding over the price and they I have to say were very helpful.

Fitting them yourself is pretty easy, but there is one major gotcha. You do need a number of tools including a 17mm allen key/tool for the front axle and realistically a beefy impact wrench and torque rench. This was where I nearly came unstuck. After jacking the front end up and removing the wheel, mudguard and caliper etc. I was able to remove both forks. The fork disassembly requires a longish 8mm allen key to remove the damper rod from the bottom of the forks. I didn't have one to hand so I cut a spare 8mm key and used an 8mm impact socket. Neither of these bolts would come undone. In fact the first one must have been tightened by a 400lb gorilla with a cheater bar. I have a DeWalt 18V electric impact. This twisted the allen key like a pretzel and in the end all it would do was spin.

I resolved therefore to drill out the bolts using a 9mm drill bit. The metal in these bolts fortunately doesn't appear to be stainless and they came out relatively easily. After that it was plain sailing. It was a lot easier re-assembling them. Ohlins instructions mention a pull up tool and a spring and a stopper plate but you dont need either of these as there is a large gap between the spring and the fork cap.

I am still playing with the damper settings and preload but they seem to be a lot smoother than the oem. Will update once I have covered some miles.
eisen77 and TheBigGuy like this.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to mention was the replacement damper bolts. The oem bolts from World of Triumph are £8.41 each excluding delivery which is frankly a bit rude. They are a fine pitch 10mm x 25mm 1.0mm pitch. I found some some on Ebay for about £3 a pair. The only hitch is the head is a tad larger than the Triumph oem bolts but I turned these down a fraction on my lathe.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's_yer_firkin View Post
I shouldn't really read this forum you guys are a bad influence on my wallet, Eisen77 especially....
I agree with you and , i hate Eisen77 too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM

BTW , i have Matris fork cartridges to fit in my bike . I will do soon .
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Really hope you enjoy the upgrade as much as i do.
The Ohlins really do seem to be getting better with every KM; they are such a quality bit of kit.

I must add that for some reason I am enjoying my Ohlins front and Wilbers rear even more now that Iíve installed my high bar.
Maybe itís cause my body position has changed I can feel the fluidity and suppleness even better now.
Bob's_yer_firkin and Louie like this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julioroque View Post
BTW , i have Matris fork cartridges to fit in my bike . I will do soon .
Looking forward to hearing your report.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julioroque View Post
I agree with you and , i hate Eisen77 too...
Yes he is a bad influence, I had to get the Ohlins too.
eisen77 and Louie like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
I k now it's a Speedmaster, and therefore different suspension, but I've upped my tyre pressures by 0.1 bar (1 psi) mainly because I lose a bit out of each tyre, and it's made quite a difference with the ride being more plush... On most other bike forums I've been on, people play around with tyre pressures, but it doesn't seem to be a temptation here?

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzilazz View Post
I k now it's a Speedmaster, and therefore different suspension, but I've upped my tyre pressures by 0.1 bar (1 psi) mainly because I lose a bit out of each tyre, and it's made quite a difference with the ride being more plush... On most other bike forums I've been on, people play around with tyre pressures, but it doesn't seem to be a temptation here?
On my racing bike I did make minute corrections (at stable & measured temps and tire warmers). But on a road bike just tend to stick to Triumph/manufacturer recommendations. Just too many variables to account for when on the road at varying temps and road conditions.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
My GTR1000's ran at 40 and 45 as opposed to 36/41, the Guzzi's ran at about +2psi front and rear...

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page