Hepco and Becker C-Bow Frames with Aftermarket Rear Shock WARNING! - Page 2 - Triumph Bobber Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
GPz

Unfortunately it's always caveat emptor with aftermarket parts.

I love my British Customs mufflers but there's not a chance in the world the person who wrote the instructions ever actually installed them on a Bobber. Had to get out the grinder and make it work like an episode of Junkyard Wars. OK, not quite that bad, but definitely F'd up enough to make you shake your head in disbelief. It's all part of our twisted little hobby, so get through it and try to enjoy the adventure.

-GPz/Gary
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Garage
I think I would have to agree that this is a design flaw. A significant part of an engineers job is to try and eliminate possible "what if's". That's not to say that every eventuality is obvious however.

But, Looking at the photo's, it should have been obvious, from the first fitting, that additional clearance in that area would be necessary to eliminate any possibility of interaction between those parts. A simple measurement of maximum possible swing arm travel, regardless of shock/spring deflection, would have proven that.

Again, just judging from the photos, there doesn't appear to be any significant design, or engineering, limitation with those particular pieces, that would have prevented them from adjusting the length of the curved piece attached to the c-bow end the few mm necessary to ensure swing arm clearance without compromising the strength of the bracket.

My 2 cents.
ysoslo likes this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Have you tried removing the washers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Great Black North...thanks for your input, and I agree entirely. I guess this is why H&B agreed (eventually!) to change the design and send me the new version at no charge. I should receive them next week, so I'll post an update once I've had a chance to do a comparison and fit them. In hindsight I should have checked them myself, but I never considered that there could possibly be any issue; after all, this is a mass market product not a custom one-off.

Bakulaw...funny you should mention that, because I did consider it. On reflection though, I decided not to for the following reason: H&B clearly state in the installation document that the spacers should be fitted unless the rear rack is also being fitted (in which case the rack mounting points provide the clearance). As I knew I would have a battle on my hands with the manufacturer, and until the situation is resolved (!?!), I decided to leave the installation as prescribed. The irony of this is that when I ordered the pannier frames, they arrived with the spacers missing; had I not contacted H&B to post them out to me and waited until I received them for the installation, this problem may never have arisen!
Psychopasta and Roy like this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Roy

Garage
Hi Johnny,

I'm pleased they are sending you a new set. It's a bummer your bike got damaged but I'm sure we have all been there one time or another. Looking forward to the update and at least you have had a hand in the future design and will now have a little part in it's history.

Let us know how you get on mate?

Cheerio,

Roy
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

I found the redesigned H&B frames had been delivered when I got home last night, so I'll be fitting them tomorrow and I'll post an update.
ysoslo and Roy like this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Fitted the modified frames on Saturday and did a lengthy test ride on Sunday over some very bumpy roads with no issues.
I've attached some photos that compare the original with the modified frames:
- On the bench, the hanger on the left is the modified one. Notice that the bend in the tubing at the top mounting point has been removed as far as possible.
- The second photo shows the modified hanger fitted to the right side with the original still on the left, demonstrating the increased clearance from the swing arm.
- The final photo shows both modified hangers fitted.

I hope that this is now the end to this issue.
I have mailed Hepco & Becker this morning to find out if they are going to apply the modifications to the hangers on all future manufacture of this specific product. I'll post the response if and when I get one!

The most surprising response I have had related to this problem was from the TUV in Germany. I mistakenly believed that they would be responsible for enforcing the quality standards that manufacturers subscribe to. This is the reply I received having described my issue to them. Quote:

"Dear Johnny,

Thank you very much for your interest in our sevice.
Just like for you, it is important to us that there are safe products on the market.
Our customers include manufacturers and importers etc. who voluntarily submit their products to our tests and certifications.

We regret to inform you that we can not offer the inquired Service, we are subject to the rules of neutrality.

Freundliche Grüße/Best Regards
Jasmin Müller
Vertrieb/Sales
[email protected]
TÜV Rheinland LGA Products GmbH
Am Grauen Stein 29
D-51105 Köln
www.tuv.com/safety[/I]".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench Comparison.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	33309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side  Modified - Left Side Original.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	33311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Both Sides Modifed.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	33313  
Roy likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Just had the following reply back from Hepco & Becker regarding the ongoing manufacture of the C-Bow carriers for the Bobber: "All future production is changed". Good news.
Forjox and Roy like this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 11:20 AM
Roy

Garage
Well done Johnny,

A good result.

Cheerio,

Roy
Johnny likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 12:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Just had the following reply back from Hepco & Becker regarding the ongoing manufacture of the C-Bow carriers for the Bobber: "All future production is changed". Good news.
Wow. I guess one man can, in fact, change the world. Congrats. 👍
Johnny likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page