Wilbers vs. Fox - Triumph Bobber Forum
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Wilbers vs. Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by didakpc View Post
You have to give us your comparison wilbers vs fox!
Ok. I’ll start off by saying I have always been satisfied by the performance of the Fox shock, but curiosity got the better of me with the Wilbers (and the search for even better ride quality/comfort).

After picking up and installing the Wilbers this morning (takes all of 15mins to install), I managed to ride about 100kms over roads I know very well, so was able to do a good back to back comparison with the Fox.

Straight away I noticed that the bike feels a touch higher and compression/rebound and overall ®bounciness® feel different to the Fox. Once out on the road, I could feel that the bike now supported my weight better and the sensation of the bike feeing (a bit taller) was correct. Don’t ask me why or how, but it’s just a tad taller.
Anyway, ride quality wise the Wilber definitely handles imperfections and bad roads better than the Fox. The bike moves and flows better and I can feel it working under me. The Fox feels much stiffer and less compliant. That would be a good thing on perfect roads, but for the bad, rippled and bumpy asphalt we have here - I prefer the Wilbers by a long shot.
I can say this with confidence because I have a sensitive bladder and every bump or undulation that sends a jolt can make the “urge” worse.
All the bumps and road imperfections that I aimed for resulted in an impressively low “jolt” and the Wilbers absorbed a fair amount more than the Fox. So for me, the change is already beneficial. Sorry if that’s too much information, but for those of you with sensitive backs (or bladders), it’s an important point.
Mid corner stability is fantastic and I’m on the gas nice and early.

Overall, I’d say that the Fox is a great unit if you like a sporty, firm ride; It’s a quality unit with few (if any) drawbacks. The Wilbers though, provides a plusher, more comfortable ride and seems to suspend the bike in a different way to the Fox. Perhaps it’s cause now the preload and spring rate are tuned for my weight & preference, or the fact that the Fox is aimed at sportier riding. But for me, the Wilbers has hit the spot and I won’t be changing back.

I would like to give a big thanks to Mike The Bike and DidaKpc for all their input.

Last edited by eisen77; 10-24-2018 at 01:44 PM.
post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 02:21 PM

Thank you Eisen for your review 👍🏻. Got mine on order.
eisen77 likes this.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:53 PM

I couldn't have said better! But I'll go further to say that the Wilbers actually gets even better after a few thousand Km. I fitted mine in June this year, and since then done over 10,000km with it.

I recently rode from here in Northern Germany, down to Villefranche sur-Mer, near Monaco, to see my old schoolmate. I took my time, doing on average 500km per day. I rode in total, 3040km in nine days, on the Bobber, via Freiburg, Montreux (Lake Geneva), Geneva, Grenoble, Gap (Napoleon Route), Monaco.
The return trip took me via Savona (Italy), Turino, Aoste, Montreux again, and back home.
Cruising at an average speed of 130-140km/h, I had no fatigue apart from normal tiredness later in the day.
I attribute this largely to the Wilbers set-up I have on the bike; I have also the fork-springs and fork-oil from them.
The roads and highways in Italy are in a pretty miserable state, but still no fatigue.

The shock does indeed make the bike ever so slightly higher; it's 9mm longer than stock; giving us a good 10mm more negative travel. Any bike suspension lecture will tell us how important this is.

I'll post a more detailed story of my travels earlier this year, when I get the time in the near future, with some pics.
For now, here's one of "Guinevere" packed up, somewhere in the French Alps near Grenoble...

Cheers!
mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD675950-E668-4BA8-9D95-876974CE77FC.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	28687  
eisen77, ysoslo, JedKnight and 5 others like this.

Through the mud & the blood, to the green fields beyond...

British Army Veteran 1975-1984
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mike - thanks for clarifying I’ve not yet gone mad in imagining a taller bike.
I’m FAR from being an expert in suspension and I just tell it straight as I feel it while riding.

I think our fellow forum members are going to REALLY like the pics you took during your trip with Guinevere! (Spoiler alert: they’re great !)
Mike the Bike and didakpc like this.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:10 PM

Ok. I guess I will volunteer to test and try out that old, no good, worn out fox shock before you just throw it in the trash bin. 😂
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:52 PM

Garage
Eisen, I'm glad to hear you got your new shock. That means mine shouldn't be far behind. I'd love to get it before this weekend, so I can install it and go for a ride with it. Can't wait!!

Any quick tips for the install?

Each one matters.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post

Any quick tips for the install?
Yes. Always be polite and make your mechanic a good coffee!

The install takes a few minutes and doesnít require removal of the rear seat.
Have to raise and support the bike from underneath so the suspension is fully uncompressed and then only use a paddock stand to pivot the rear when needed (to align the bolt during install). So best to do it with another person.

Let us know how you get along
ysoslo, didakpc and Roy like this.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX429 View Post
Ok. I guess I will volunteer to test and try out that old, no good, worn out fox shock before you just throw it in the trash bin. 😂
Nice try
The Fox will remain with me for when the Wilbers goes back to Germany for a rebuild. Usually itís a quick process, but if they are busy it can take weeks.
MX429 likes this.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Nice try
The Fox will remain with me for when the Wilbers goes back to Germany for a rebuild. Usually itís a quick process, but if they are busy it can take weeks.

I had not thought about that ... I was going to throw away the old shock

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
As a relative newbie to riding, what's this back-to-Germany-for-a-rebuild about?

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page