Matris vs Hagon - Triumph Bobber Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Matris vs Hagon

Been getting some overtime at work, so I'm looking at replacing the rear shock. Not looking to spend as much as the Wilbers, and I want the preload adjustability, so the Fox is out. I've narrowed it down to the bargain priced Hagon or the mid-range Matris. I'm a big boy (250lbs/117kg). I don't think the factory shock is horrible, but so many guys on here have raved about aftermarket shocks making a huge difference so I'm interested in trying something new. Any recommendations regarding Matris vs Hagon? Any advantages to one over the other? I haven't done a ton of research, but they seem fairly comparable, yet there has to be a reason for the $200 price difference, right?

Each one matters.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 AM

I can't speak about the Hagon shock but I have the Matris and find the ride more comfortable. Road imperfections aren't as jarring as the stock. I weigh 80 lb less than you and on some dips the rear bottoms out. I could change the setting but then the ride will be not as "plush". Don't expect the Bobber to ride as soft as a Goldwing, the suspension has it's limits.

Chico
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:22 AM

I'd like to add that probably in our weight class, we can't expect wonders with the Bobber's limited suspension travel.

I went for the Wilbers, factory built to 130 kg (I'm about your weight, plus full gear and potential luggage). I believe there is a fundamental improvement on roads in good condition, i.e. going through smaller dips - these are barely noticeable. Also the adjusted spring preload means that the bike's height almost doesn't change when I get on it.

But more serious bumps, like going over a manhole cover that maybe has an offset of a half inch or more, still is painful. The Wilbers is a bit on the stiff side, but I guess it has to be like that because of weight and limited suspension travel, so it doesn't bottom out.
My butt however will tell you there's not too much difference of a really stiff suspension or a soft suspension bottoming out. Of course there is a fundamental increase in safety with a suspension that doesn't bottom out, and as I said, there is a huge improvement for softer bumps.

Unfortunately with the new setup, it's very obvious now how bad the original front suspension is, even the BB's Showa cartridge forks.

Is the Wilbers that much more expensive in the US? The Wilbers 640 is 499,- EUR here, or 549,- if you go for the all-black Nightline finish. The benefit is that they will really build it to your specs (weight, riding type, ...) and you will get it fully preadjusted.

If you are going for the Matris or Hagon one, please keep us posted. I'd love to hear a review by someone who's in a similar weight class ;-)

Tom
eisen77 and ysoslo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Ive only ever heard bad things about Hagon so personally would avoid them but could be wrong to
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Iíve read very little about Hagon, but ALOT of good feedback about Wilbers (in general).
If it was me - Iíd go for the Wilbers.
I had Matris front suspenders and they were much better than stock. But I would still choose Wilbers (matched to my weight and set up for my riding style) over Matris if i was to replace my Fox shock.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexAlba View Post
Ive only ever heard bad things about Hagon so personally would avoid them but could be wrong to
I have hagons on the rear of my tuned bonnie & on my bobber, nothing bad to say about them from me.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Hagon is $350, the Matris is $550 and the Wilbers is $650, so the Wilbers is nearly double the cost of the Hagon. Is it twice as good, I wonder? The Fox is $750, and then the fancy Wilbers with the "piggyback reservoir" is nearly $1,200 (all priced US dollars).

Sounds like the Hagon is a decent option for the cost, the Matris is perhaps a little better, but with the Wilbers possible for $100 more than the Matris it sounds like I should just buck up and pay the extra $100 for the Wilbers.

I just found Mike the Bike's review on the Wilbers, and it sounds like this is the way to go:

"The shock doesn't only look good, it's an awesome improvement comfort and roadholding wise, on the OEM part. The spring was initially set up quite hard, but after playing around with it, I've found my favourite sag setting.
I rode around on known bumpy and damaged roads, and this new shock gives me a very reassuring feeling that it's got everything under control; sort of like it's saying "ah here's a big one, I'll take care of this"
The small bumps and road surface changes are almost ironed out too, but I'm still adequately informed of whats going on under my wheels!
Riding approx. 100km just with the shock changed, revealed quite clearly the deficits of the standard forks!
They felt quite overworked compared to the new shock; sort of like they weren't up to the task anymore!"

Hopefully the Wilbers coupled with my TEC progressive fork springs and preload adjusters will turn this bike into a magic carpet ride...lol

Each one matters.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexAlba View Post
Hey Rex,

I have had the opposite experience: I've only ever heard good things about Hagon, and have used them extensively too. I would say they tend to be better in terms of price/performance ratio rather than being the absolute performance kings.

I think two things really matter with rear suspension:

1. Getting it set up for your weight
2. Being honest about your weight

- Pasta
ysoslo likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:22 PM

Not hear-say just personal experience, I had Hagon make up a shock for my Bobber specific to my all up riding weight, best modification that I have ever made to the bike........I am 265lbs in full riding kit.....it turned rides from hip jarring and spine crushing agony with the standard shock into lovely, compliant and controlled pleasure.

The shock comes with a two year guarantee, it is fully adjustable for both compression and rebound and is totally re-buildable.

I have no relationship or receive any discount from Hagon.

It was so good that I have had them build a shock for the scooter we take with us in our camper van and their shock has also transformed that as well.....very pleased.

Cheers,

Billybobber

...one manís meat is another manís poison...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobber#1 View Post
Not hear-say just personal experience, I had Hagon make up a shock for my Bobber specific to my all up riding weight, best modification that I have ever made to the bike........I am 265lbs in full riding kit.....it turned rides from hip jarring and spine crushing agony with the standard shock into lovely, compliant and controlled pleasure.

The shock comes with a two year guarantee, it is fully adjustable for both compression and rebound and is totally re-buildable.

I have no relationship or receive any discount from Hagon.

It was so good that I have had them build a shock for the scooter we take with us in our camper van and their shock has also transformed that as well.....very pleased.

Cheers,

Billybobber
Thanks for letting me know. I may just give Hagon a shot first to see what I think, since I don't hate the factory shock. If it works for me, then that leaves me with an extra $300 for other fun stuff. I agree with Pasta too....being honest about your weight while wearing riding gear will likely result in a much better experience.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page