Is the X pipe worth it, or necessary? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Question Is the X pipe worth it, or necessary?

Hi all - V&H exhausts fitted and I'm a [U]really[U] happy bunny! Deeper somewhat louder roar, probably better throttle response in low gears, nice pop pop on decel. Overall very pleased. However ...... would an X pipe make a difference? What is the consensus?
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

The Xpipe does make a differnce.
Are you running the EU or US (non-homologated) pipes?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 03:02 PM

Sorry, but I cannot agree!

I had the x-pipes installed with the stock exhaust. If we talk about sound, I can report a marginally deeper and a hardly noticeable louder sound. If we talk about performance, I must report: It makes absolutely no difference!

I did several acceleration measurements comparing catalyst and x- pipes. I didn't notice any changes in power or throttle response neither at low nor at high revs!

Psychologically the x-pipes perhaps are great! But why get into troubles with the emission controls, if there is no benefit? So I cleaned them thoroughly with brake cleaner, and returned them to sender!

Sad to say, but regarding performance the V&H exhaust (or any other exhaust) for shure is a placebo too, as long as you don't modify the air intake and the ECU mapping as well! Sorry mates, but we must take note of the physics!
BOBBYP, DevilDog, MikeB and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I have no access to a dyno and i made no claims to the xpipe adding any bhp or torque.
Seat of the pants test says the bike is smoother.
However, the xpipe does make a difference to the sound/noise - if indeed thats what Greybeard was asking.

I have had stock pipes without the xpipe, (EU) V&H with AND without the xpipe and now the zards with the xpipe.
There was definitely a change in exhaust note - for the better - once i had the xpipe installed.
getor and Louie like this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

@Greybeard
Fellow forum member muensterDeath and i have talked alot about mods for the bike and his knack for sound perception and note change is beyond reproach.
I hope he doesn´t mind me copy/pasting a paragraph from his xpipe post (as i highly respect his opinion):

¨...The GOOD!------ the sound is "louder"....but the rumble is much better. You can really feel and here the parallel twin...it thrums and is deep. I and others (had them ride it) DID feel a difference in throttle control and grunt. It is more responsive and has a longer range of of pull. I definitely noticed a difference. However, after a 100 mile ride today in the foot hills of Va, I was used to it by the end of the ride.
Long story short, short of nuances for installation, an excellent performance mod, highly recommend it¨.

(https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/fo...s-xpipe-3.html)
getor and MikeB like this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I noticed a significant sound difference. I did a sound test (just my ears, no recording) in my garage (door open) before and after and there was a very noticeable change in the sound and DB. Not Loud, but certainly louder. It reverberated in the garage more than stock, and allowed me to hear the low end more, big smiles. Also, riding it with the same helmet, I could hear the bike more than before the xpipe. It def gave it more of a rumble, and better throttle response. Was it a huge change, absolutely not, a worthwhile change, for me, absolutely and would recommend it.

I am not sure of the merit behind it, but there have been some articles and videos from xpipe engineers (xpipes for the Bobber, Bonneville, etc) stating that where the xpipes are cut and welded (creating the connection/gap between left and right side of the pipes) is crucial in the xpipe being functional as a performance mod or simply getting read of the weight of the catalytic converter.

There are other folk that have done slip ons, and then the Xpipe after the new pipes, and have stated that it made even louder/deeper. (BC shotguns w/ xpipe are apparently really loud, whereas BC Shotguns with NO xpipe are not so much (still loud, but not car alarm detonating loud).
eisen77 likes this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

The zards are obnoxiously loud with the freespirits x-pipe & without the dBkillers installed. But with the dBkillers in place, the sound is perfect (for me...)
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
The zards are obnoxiously loud with the freespirits x-pipe & without the dBkillers installed. But with the dBkillers in place, the sound is perfect (for me...)
Haha, yeah I recall that! Sounded great and prob made the HD riders go "what the...!!!"
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Haha, yeah I recall that! Sounded great and prob made the HD riders go "what the...!!!"
The HD riders couldn’t even hear themselves thinking
The sound was fantastic for a week, but soon became too much. The fact that zard sent me various dB killers to experiment with (free of charge) is a testament to their excellent customer service.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
Hi all - V&H exhausts fitted and I'm a [U]really[U] happy bunny! Deeper somewhat louder roar, probably better throttle response in low gears, nice pop pop on decel. Overall very pleased. However ...... would an X pipe make a difference? What is the consensus?
I have the vh pipes as well, and trust me you want the xpipe. It changes the tone to a much deeper and louder rumble. Totally awesome.

Performance wise, I did it at the same time so I couldn't say.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
eisen77 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page