Headers? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Headers?

This may be a dumb question but why can't the cat be replaced with a pair of headers that run into more normal silencers?
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

It just seems so simple and a darn sight cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headers.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	7497  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Apparently the way the motor is mapped and setup, it actually requires the cat or Xpipe or it will lose a significant amounts but of torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:02 AM

I have a set of pipes like that to go on but haven't had the chance to put them on. I'll let you know about the torque afterward.

I don't see how you'd lose much as the x-pipe versus the straights well are pretty much the same thing. I've spoken to several people about it and they told me the amount of torque loss on an engine that size is negligible. They say you won't even notice the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearJu View Post
I have a set of pipes like that to go on but haven't had the chance to put them on. I'll let you know about the torque afterward.

I don't see how you'd lose much as the x-pipe versus the straights well are pretty much the same thing. I've spoken to several people about it and they told me the amount of torque loss on an engine that size is negligible. They say you won't even notice the difference.

The forum eagerly awaits your report on this topic! Most of us that state what I did as a repeat of what others have said.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Garage
If you get rid of the cat and donít want an x-pipe then youíre probably going need a set of balanced headers like these for the Thruxton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thruxton.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	7513  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
If you get rid of the cat and donít want an x-pipe then youíre probably going need a set of balanced headers like these for the Thruxton.
I think this is right.... as the engine probably does need some back pressure to work at optimum efficiency. I would assume this balanced system would help with that.

There are reports on this forum about those with cat deletes and high flow exhausts experiencing 'pops' and back firing. While these sound really cool, everything I've read about installing aftermarket exhausts tells me that's the sound of an engine that isn't running as well as it might. There is a limit to how much the electronics on the bike can adjust to.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBobberNH View Post
I think this is right.... as the engine probably does need some back pressure to work at optimum efficiency. I would assume this balanced system would help with that.

There are reports on this forum about those with cat deletes and high flow exhausts experiencing 'pops' and back firing. While these sound really cool, everything I've read about installing aftermarket exhausts tells me that's the sound of an engine that isn't running as well as it might. There is a limit to how much the electronics on the bike can adjust to.
I do get some blubbing and pops, as RPMs come down, but have not experienced full on back fires. (TEC Xpipe and stock mufflers)

Last edited by muensterDeath; 09-08-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: asdf
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:10 AM

After I put on my Zard's w/o the silencer, I got a little popping on decel. That has completely disappeared, so the ECM has adjusted. Today I am having the TEC x-pipe installed. Have been told by one dealer that running it at 40-60 mph for 12-15 minutes speeds the process of the computer relearning, and that our ECM should be able to handle the adjustment. So I will report back, but my season is getting short, so we'll see how the computer adapts in the next 200 miles or so.
muensterDeath likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:22 AM

I've experienced some of that now with the stock pipes haha.

But the set I got is just like that just little different look design wise. They are mass moto 2 to 2 hot rod pipes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page