x-pipe in California? - Triumph Bobber Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

x-pipe in California?

So, x-pipes in CA. Obviously modifying the emissions equipment is technically a no no, but how do you guys feel about it? What could happen?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'd prob try to find what and all they check on bikes at time of inspection. If they don't look for it.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

I don't think there is any inspection on bikes in ca? I've never had an inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 02:58 PM

i moved to ca from ohio in '97 and not once had to go through an emissions inspection on any of my bikes. so think we're okay, at least for now. however, you never know with ca. i would not be surprised though if in the future they do start smog checking bikes (they'll probably say it's for the environment, but we all know it would just be for additional revenue from like fines, etc.) when i got my x-pipe installed, i forgot to ask to keep the cat converter that they removed in case i would ever need to re-install it for any future checks. i contacted the dealership about getting that part that they removed but haven't heard back yet. a little upset that they didn't ask or remind me if i wanted to keep the old part (kind of like if you purchased new handlebars and got them installed... - wouldn't they give you you're old ones back after installing the new ones?)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 PM

Garage
Yup, no DMV inspections in California for MC's. However, CHP does target bikes with loud pipes. Typically they use it as a tool to stop the OMG 1% type of rider but I've had some experience with them stopping us law abiding bikers.

I'd suggest keeping your exhaust in a way that you can revert it back to stock. If you do get a citation from CHP, it will likely be a corrective cite. Once you show the correction to your equipment, you'll be signed off. Of course the processing of corrective citations isn't free so you'll be "taxed" a bit one way or another.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMAC View Post
Yup, no DMV inspections in California for MC's. However, CHP does target bikes with loud pipes. Typically they use it as a tool to stop the OMG 1% type of rider but I've had some experience with them stopping us law abiding bikers.

I'd suggest keeping your exhaust in a way that you can revert it back to stock. If you do get a citation from CHP, it will likely be a corrective cite. Once you show the correction to your equipment, you'll be signed off. Of course the processing of corrective citations isn't free so you'll be "taxed" a bit one way or another.
I'm in San Diego as well. Do you run an x-pipe?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 PM

Garage
Hey Bro, I tried responding to you once but I think it crashed when I hit send. Forgive me if you get two replies.

No X-pipe yet. I have a buddy that may build me a one-off complete exhaust. If it doesn't work out, I'll likely go with a TEC X-pipe and a set of Zards.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page