It’s finally loud enough. Maybe too loud? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

It’s finally loud enough. Maybe too loud?

I started out with the BC drag pipes since I like the look, and it was an inexpensive way to add sound at the beginning. I then took out the air boxes, and it got a bit louder, but not loud enough. So today I put in an x pipe, and now I feel like cars on the 101 will notice me better.

Except, it’s a bit too loud, to the point where my family, neighbors, and police will likely get annoyed. It also doesn’t have as good of a note, and the decel doesn’t sound as good.

Ideally I could try adding some baffle, but the drag pipes have an uncommon diameter. I am also not into the look of the larger pipes.

Has anyone else attempted baffling drag pipes? If I don’t want to spend a ton of money, are my options the predator pro or trident?
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:51 PM

When you say loud, is it the popping on decel that bothers you? I found the pops very loud. Since installing the PCV, I’ve not been bothered by them.

I have the stock airbox (modified filters), TEC x-pipe, and Trident slash cuts with baffles wrapped in fiberglass. Can’t say that I find the noise bothersome at all yet it’s loud enough for cars to notice me with a brapppp.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

It’s just too loud at every stage, and not really the popping that’s bothering me. Just the fact that it is now straight pipe.

I’d probably be ok with that level of noise that you have if there was some sort of baffle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:24 AM

What’s the diameter of the pipe? You should be able to find a baffle or have one fabricated for the pipe.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

The inside diameter is 1.5 inches with outer diameter of 1.625. All of the baffles that I have found are 1 3/8 with outer diameter of 1.5. Or 1.625 with 1.75 outer diameter since it is a standard Harley diameter. Not really much in between.

I’ve decided that I’m not going to spend money on new mufflers now, so my current options are either making this work with baffles, or selling the x pipe I just bought and settling with what I had.

If I put in the 1 3/8 inch in, it would likely still have gaps around the edges.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:50 AM

A 35mm baffle should work fine for a 38mm ID drag pipe. That’s 1.5mm of clearance on either side so it’ll be a snug fit. Any bigger and it may not fit. You can pack with fiberglass to mute it a little more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Short-Steel.../dp/B001QWWDYC
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I ordered a set of these this morning to see how they work. Is it ok if there is 3 mm of gap around the outside? Do I need to weld up some washers to take up that gap?

The baffles are 35 mm and pipes inside diameter are 38 mm.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 02:38 PM

It’s only a 1.5mm gap around the baffle. That’s small. Any tighter and I think you might have trouble getting the baffles in the exhaust due to manufacturing variances. You may need to take off the pipe to drill the retaining screw hole underneath the exhaust. I’d also recommend fiberglass packing or maybe steel wool (the right kind) or even both. That should help deaden the noise more and maybe help seal up any leaks.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 07:35 PM

For what it is worth...
I ride in and around LA all the time...
Mostly Santa monica , the PCH , the 405,101..and once or twice a week..from santa Monica to West Hollywood trough Beverly hills...

I have British custom drag pipes, xpipe and airbox delete...got stopped a couple of time..never got a ticket for being too loud so fare 😄

Would not want my bike to be quieter..too dangerous..people's on the fon, Uber drivers..and I do not even tell you about the majijuana smoke clouds when I l am splitting in heavy traffic...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 08:04 PM

There quite a few of us TBFs in the area. We should gather for a meet. Would be cool to see everyone’s mods IRL.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page