Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Heat wrap who does not mess with the headers?

14K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Chico 
#1 ·
I would love to buy black V&H slip ons, but I do not feel to spend a lot on getting new ceramic painted pipes or pay to paint them. I would like to wrap the pipes with black exhaust wrapping all the way to the slip ons - but when I read about it it does more harm than good.

Therefore, Is it any exhaust wrapping who works more like a bandage and does nothing to retain heat, but is just for looks?
This style:

See less See more
#3 ·
Found this on CycleWorld
Pipe wrapping comes from NASCAR, where its purpose was to cheaply reduce temperature in well-filled engine bays. Its current use on custom bikes is a visual theme that builders apparently like, but it has no function. If you walk through racing paddocks at MotoGP or World Superbike events, you will see no woven fiberglass tape wrapped around pipes.

Some years ago John Wittner (builder of Battle of the Twins Moto Guzzis) warned against the use of such wrapping on titanium pipes, which overheat, react with oxygen, and transform into a mass of loose yellow flakes. During the two-stroke era in 500cc Grand Prix, bikes appeared for the Japanese GP with pipes insulated by various means. This was done to meet new noise regulations. Later, it turned out to have undesired tuning effects so its use was discontinued.

#10 ·
So who has had thier downpipes wrapped so far, getting really tempted to go for the black engine cases and sprocket cover and add in the titanium coloured wrap on the headers, not sure i can do much with the BC tips as regards blacking, old fashioned matt black zorst paint never looks right?

#11 ·
I have wrapped mine twice (as I tried it on one pipe only and then checked it if any running issues and/or damage when removed).
I bought it from Amazon and £10 a roll, so that's £20 to do the bike.

Make sure you take your time, wear gloves and soak the wrap in cold water for 10mins of so before starting. Keep viewing the wrap to make sure it looks even and keep it nice and tight.
It can be done perfectly well without removing or loosening ANYTHING from the bike, just take your time to do a good job in front of the X-Pipe.
Does it do any harm (why would it)?? No probs whatsoever and it looks good and come in different colours.

Fill yer boots.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titanium-M...8&qid=1504027450&sr=8-3&keywords=exhaust+wrap

Attachments

#15 ·
i wrapped my down pipes with DEI black wrap with LR technology (whatever that really means). see link. buy two 50ft. rolls one for each side. at first i tried a 25ft roll and ran out, but i do wrap them VERY close with lots of overlap and i did have left over. i think they look awesome! and very retro

Exhaust Wraps & Accessories | Exhaust Header Wrap and Thermal Performance Products | Design Engineering, Inc.

when i buy some new mufflers, i'll probably have to unwrap them, and if i can't get them back on, then i'll buy another set. if i do i think i'll buy the titanium color and the 35ft rolls for an even more retro look.

i'll post a pic later tonight...

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.