Heat wrap who does not mess with the headers? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Heat wrap who does not mess with the headers?

I would love to buy black V&H slip ons, but I do not feel to spend a lot on getting new ceramic painted pipes or pay to paint them. I would like to wrap the pipes with black exhaust wrapping all the way to the slip ons - but when I read about it it does more harm than good.

Therefore, Is it any exhaust wrapping who works more like a bandage and does nothing to retain heat, but is just for looks?
This style:

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't know about the wrap, but Triumph sells black headers. Did you check those out? ( you probably did and that is a part of the cost factor)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:15 PM

Found this on CycleWorld
Quote:
Pipe wrapping comes from NASCAR, where its purpose was to cheaply reduce temperature in well-filled engine bays. Its current use on custom bikes is a visual theme that builders apparently like, but it has no function. If you walk through racing paddocks at MotoGP or World Superbike events, you will see no woven fiberglass tape wrapped around pipes.

Some years ago John Wittner (builder of Battle of the Twins Moto Guzzis) warned against the use of such wrapping on titanium pipes, which overheat, react with oxygen, and transform into a mass of loose yellow flakes. During the two-stroke era in 500cc Grand Prix, bikes appeared for the Japanese GP with pipes insulated by various means. This was done to meet new noise regulations. Later, it turned out to have undesired tuning effects so its use was discontinued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Don't know about the wrap, but Triumph sells black headers. Did you check those out? ( you probably did and that is a part of the cost factor)
It is a lot cheaper to get a paint shop to ceramically make my headers black than to buy the triumph ones who are riduculously expensive.
It is a hundred reasons not to wrap the headers: https://www.centuryperformance.com/e...2ejAXat7UmvrUN
The only reason to do it is because I think it looks cool. So, I will probably not do it.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You could also DIY this and use high heat flat paint that comes in a spray can. Take them off hang the and spray them. Can would cost like 5 dollars.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...ints/high-heat
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 PM

Have you considered just buying Triumphs black headers and utilize the stock exhaust. I believe the headers run about $355. You would basically get the same look as the bike in this thread picture.
Anders Kanten likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I would like to get black headers and exhaust eventually. But, I also want a deeper sound to the exhaust so I would need to change things. I have discussed it a bit in the other tread about x-pipe and such. It's nothing wrong with the sound of the bobber, I just want it to piss off more people
Rocky, getor and Mike the Bike like this.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Kanten View Post
I would like to get black headers and exhaust eventually. But, I also want a deeper sound to the exhaust so I would need to change things. I have discussed it a bit in the other tread about x-pipe and such. It's nothing wrong with the sound of the bobber, I just want it to piss off more people
Roll with no mufflers at all then. wear some ear plugs.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:55 PM

That's liable to get you pulled over for disturbing the peace in your neighborhood. Unless it's filled with fellow riders.
Anders Kanten likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 08:55 PM

Garage
So who has had thier downpipes wrapped so far, getting really tempted to go for the black engine cases and sprocket cover and add in the titanium coloured wrap on the headers, not sure i can do much with the BC tips as regards blacking, old fashioned matt black zorst paint never looks right?

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page