Delkevic Install & my 2 Cents - Triumph Bobber Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Delkevic Install & my 2 Cents

I was in the same boat as most of us in looking for info on the Delkevic exhaust. I found a single video of it running and sounded great and after speaking to a few coworkers about Delkevic, I bit the bullet and bought one.

I was generally surprised how fast it shipped, made it from the mid-west to Cali in 3 days, so a point to Delkevic for the fast turn around. The exhaust was packaged pretty well and came without any damage or scratches. Un-boxing was pretty simple and easy everything looked pristine.

Now comes the hard part, the installation directions they send out are pretty vague and almost useless. If you have every worked on any thing mechanical you already know the general items. I unfortunately didn't snap enough photos during the install as I wasn't planning on the writing this up, but someone requested and figured I can do my best to help. So here we go

Tooling you will need:
  • 10mm Deep Socket
  • 12mm Deep Socket
  • 19mm Socket
  • 10mm Open ended box wrench
  • 12mm Open ended box wrench
  • 17mm Open ended box wrench
  • 5mm Hex
  • 8mm or 9mm Hex
  • T55 Torx
  • Flat head
  • Needle Nose

Step 1: Removing stock exhaust and Cat. Not going to go in to much detail as there are a few videos online. Only thing I want to note is that you have to undo a portion of the frame, believe me it will make your life easier. All the below fasteners have to be loosened (1 is 8 or 9mm Allen), but you have to completely remove 2 (Torx 55) and 3 (12mm) and pull the frame down. This should give you enough room to slide the cat out.

To undo the O2 sensors you have to remove the 2 fasteners hold the the tank and slide it back. This should give you enough clearance to slide a flat head in to the clips and pull the the tab up and pull the connectors out. The Upper is the Right side & Lower is the Left side.

Step 2:After everything is removed you should transfer the O2 sensors form the stock headers to the new ones. Stock O2 is 17mm and the bung in the Delkevic is a 19mm.

Step 3: You can slide the mufflers in to the actual exhaust pipes and align them as you want. An allen is used to lock the muffler in to the pipe. (sorry didn't snag any pics of this but its pretty obvious)

Step 4: Transfer the kick stand stop from stock pips

Step 5: Install the rear brackets to the bike. Took me a few mocks up to figure this out but Delkevic gives you no direction here. I kept everything hand tight/loose to make sure the final fitment was good. The bracket only fits one way for everything to line up.

Step 6: Put the new crush gasket in the head and slide the header pipe on. Also recommend loosely installing the retaining bracket/fasteners at this time.

Step 7: Slide the muffler on to the header and install the 8mm allen fasteners thru the bracket. Make sure the band clamp is facing Allen key up. This is basically it, now you make sure everything is lined up the way you want it. I tightened everything on the following order.... Rear bracket, header, and then clamp.

Hope fully this helps you guys out there.

here is video of a cold start up.

Finished product should look something like this
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Great write up and install report.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by eisen77; 08-16-2019 at 02:47 AM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:36 AM

Very professional set of instructions. Well done, 'cos I know how much time it takes to document!
Now...how about writing up a full motor strip down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:44 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Are you using a power commander or get it tuned; or was the infamous 12 min tune enough. Thanks again.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Thank you very much for the write up, time to decide if I should do it,.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, on the next write up I'll try to take more photos.

Going by what they said on their website, so far so good. Look at the o2 sensor set upon the bike I tend to believe them because the only 2 sensor that exist on the bike are on the headers. There is nothing on or after the CAT so not sure what computer would be correcting for as its not measuring post CAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavanah View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Are you using a power commander or get it tuned; or was the infamous 12 min tune enough. Thanks again.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:30 PM

thanks for the write-up! definitely helps out a lot!

didn't know if you used the gasket sealant that they provided or if it was necessary on any of the connections. heard some people bypass this step if all the connections seem tight and no leaks apparent. on your video, is that with that inner cone baffle in place? didn't know if you had removed it to see how much louder it would be.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Nope nope didn't use any of the sealant, everything has a mechanical gasket so so didn't see a reason. I haven't been brave enough to take the baffle out, its already pretty loud and without that it would be unbearable. Maybe Sunday I'll pull them off for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdannygunz View Post
thanks for the write-up! definitely helps out a lot!

didn't know if you used the gasket sealant that they provided or if it was necessary on any of the connections. heard some people bypass this step if all the connections seem tight and no leaks apparent. on your video, is that with that inner cone baffle in place? didn't know if you had removed it to see how much louder it would be.
djdannygunz likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:34 PM

LOVE it! So darn tempted now... Thinking I could offset the cost by ditching my vance & hines for these, just have to figure out my license plate location.... Thank you so much for sharing!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:56 PM

Look great ! I’m sure you’ll be happy with the brand.
I had a Delkevic slip on , that I fitted to my CBR 500 for the 3 1/2 years I had it
A good quality , smart looking unit and the pricing was half that of a Yoshi or Two Brothers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page