TEC X-Pipe. Problem installing. - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

TEC X-Pipe. Problem installing.

Hey all, need help.

Decided to install my TEC X-pipe after 12 months gathering dust on the shelf.

All good, pleased with myself and progress UNTIL it comes to refitting the rear clamps. I just can't seem to get them over both the the lip on the X-pipe and the collar of the exhaust compression gasket (that's the graphite/steel -wool ring) to squish and tighten them up. Mind you if I had another 1/2 dozen threads on the bolt it'd make a difference.

Any suggestions from those who might have laboured over this same issue.

Was looking to allot a lazy 1/2 day for the job, spent about 1-1/2 hours just trying to refit one clamp back on! I'm using the old 'seals', but looks as if I'll need to replace these as I've pretty much faaaarkd one side.

Regards.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:52 AM

A number of us have been caught out by those pesky clamps, and a lot of tempers frayed!

It's quite fiddly, but this worked for me after much head scratching and a few breaks to calm down!

Don't try to fit the clamps with the tail pipes fitted...you'll cry!

1. Remove the tail pipes (this does require loosening off the right side header pipe).
2. Remove the 2 clamps.
3. Remove the graphite gaskets and the steel ring in which they're housed (I then replaced the gaskets for new ones, but is is a bit of a pig to separate them from the steel ring).
4. Pre-shape each gasket in turn by placing it over the pipe fitting on the cat that you've removed (with the steel ring facing outwards) and gently tap with a mallet (it's a relatively soft material).
5. Once pre-shaped, fit the graphite gaskets to the clamps with the steel ring facing outwards and the open (bolt end of the clamp) pointing to the front of the bike.
6. Spin the nut onto each clamp just enough to bite.
7. Slide the closed end of each clamp over the shoulder of the x-pipe then push the open end over the shoulder and it will click into place (it does take a bit of force). Note that the open end of the clamp (with the nut and bolt) must face forwards with nut facing downwards. If you still can't manage, re-shape the gaskets (step 4) but tap a little harder with the mallet.
8. Hold the clamp so that it doesn't slide off the shoulder of the x-pipe, then tighten the nut until the clamp will just spin on the shoulder of the x-pipe.
9. Refit the tail pipes - there is a steel pin welded onto each pipe that must slide between the open ends of the clamp. Check that the clamps are still over the shoulder of the x-pipe.
10. Tighten up the clamps ensuring that they remain sat on the shoulder of the x-pipe (which they should do if you've followed the instructions above).
11. Refit the remainder of the exhaust system, start the engine and test for leaks...when I did one of the tail pipes leaked because the sodding clamp had slipped off the shoulder, so I had to patiently repeat the whole process...and that was after I tried to refit the clamp with the tail pipe on

I think I've remembered everything.
Hope it helps.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Garage
Johnny's method sounds like the winner.

When I did mine (with the original gaskets) I put the gaskets and clamps (header and slip-on) onto the x pipe before I installed it in the bike. that way you can make sure the slip on clamps actually go over the flange on the x-pipe and stay there. Once they are on, only tighten them just enough to keep them fitted, they should still be lose enough to spin with a bit of a push with your finger.

Good Luck!!
Johnny and GPz like this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 PM
GPz

Great Black North is spot-on, as usual.

-GPz/Gary
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Black North View Post

When I did mine (with the original gaskets) I put the gaskets and clamps (header and slip-on) onto the x pipe before I installed it in the bike...
Wise man!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Johnny & Great Black North.....thank you, thank you.

Don't try to fit the clamps with the tail pipes fitted...you'll cry!
A number of us have been caught out by those pesky clamps, and a lot of tempers frayed!

After digesting Johnny's informative epistle then GBN's post script, I duly applied your practical logic and experience to the task at hand.

So, take note others who follow.

It is indeed a better option pre-shaping the gaskets to fit, ensuring you can close the clamps...........but do this before you fit the X-pipe. So much easier. By the time I read the forum responses, and pondering my options, I'd already removed the D-Cat and all the pipes from the Bobber so I did the re-profiling on the work bench, then reinstalled with the clamps in place. I had an old Norton brass front fork top bush which was almost the same size as the steel cup, so I used this with a plastic mallet.

Again thanks to the above lads. I am indebted.
Great Black North and Johnny like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure if this is relevant to the TEC install, but Iíll post is anyway:
FREESPIRITS X-PIPE INSTALL
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Not sure if this is relevant to the TEC install, but I’ll post is anyway:
FREESPIRITS X-PIPE INSTALL
Eisen. Yes looks like fitting the X-pipe with clamps attached is the go. Free Spirits: To my advantage if I'd read that first!.

Problem with the TEC is diameter of the lip flange is 2.5mm larger than OEM, and the contour slightly different so one needs to 'pre-squash' the gasket to conform. I opted for the TEC because of it's price point and build quality is uncompromising otherwise.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
These buggers.....

Yah, as stated, easiest to put it on the xpipe, then slip the header/silencer pipes in.

Did it work out? All done? Happy with the new sound?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3687.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	36047  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
These buggers.....

Yah, as stated, easiest to put it on the xpipe, then slip the header/silencer pipes in.

Did it work out? All done? Happy with the new sound?
Test run, not too much a difference, few extra decibels as one should expect being virtually unrestricted and bit more of (hard to describe) a rumbly bark, not detracting in timbre. I've own a Buell with a loud slip-on so I didn't another.

Am I pleased with the overall result - Yes.

Haven't had time execute the 10 minute tune to note if there's a performance gain. Don't really care, it's the sound I was after.
Great Black North likes this.

Last edited by Retro Rocket 48; 07-26-2019 at 03:42 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page