Another De-Cat X-Pipe thread - Triumph Bobber Forum
View Poll Results: Which X-Pipe Cat-Delete FTW?
TEC 4 22.22%
Motone 8 44.44%
Free Spirits 4 22.22%
Other brand/custom/generic 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Another De-Cat X-Pipe thread

I have V&H but want more grunt and low note. I found a TEC X-pipe on eBay for a good price. The reviews here on BobberForum seem positive. A couple of questions I've seen varying opinions on. I'm looking for a consensus of views.

Does our engine need some back-pressure to work correctly - i.e., does it need a cat or more restrictive pipes than V&H?

Does the engine need to be re-tuned after, and does the USA Dealer have the right map for it plus aftermarket pipes?

Pretty sure it violates the warranty, but putting the stock cat back on would be simple. If this happened, could they tell?

The TEC looks like it's of excellent construction, and the video was very informative. Comments / opinions on TEC vs. the others?

2018 Bobber Black with matte tank, Vance & Hines silencers
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I did the TEC x and Gasser slipons. I did not get a new tune, but did do the 12 minute tune. Bike feels better than stock.

It will only void the warranty if the dealer/Triumph can say that whatever problem you may have could be caused by it. IE - if your wiring goes bad, it's unrelated to the Xpipe, so they would have to fix the wiring under warranty.

Eisen had the VH pipes with Xpipe, and I think he had stated that the VHs came alive with sound after Xpipe install.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post
I have V&H but want more grunt and low note. I found a TEC X-pipe on eBay for a good price. The reviews here on BobberForum seem positive. A couple of questions I've seen varying opinions on. I'm looking for a consensus of views.

Does our engine need some back-pressure to work correctly - i.e., does it need a cat or more restrictive pipes than V&H?

Does the engine need to be re-tuned after, and does the USA Dealer have the right map for it plus aftermarket pipes?

Pretty sure it violates the warranty, but putting the stock cat back on would be simple. If this happened, could they tell?

The TEC looks like it's of excellent construction, and the video was very informative. Comments / opinions on TEC vs. the others?
1. The X-Pipe V&H Exhaust combination is a popular choice, not only for the Bobber but for the T120 and Thruxton too. I can't speak from personal experience but I've never heard of any problems from anyone doing this mod, all they ever talk about is how great it sounds!

2. No for a straight De-cat and Slip-on you shouldn't need a retune, the Bobber's engine management can adapt, just do a 12minute Tune (shown at the end of this video)

3. Yes they could tell, but they'd have to show the fault you had was related to the fitting of an X-Pipe. If your claim was engine related then maybe they might try to wriggle out of it but there have been lots of people who have done this without issue so you should be safe but it's your bike it's your choice!

4. TEC are known for making solid no frills stuff at a great price, how they compare to others on the market I don't know? The only thing I'd say is avoid the X-Pipes that are floating/unsupported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Roy

Garage
Just voted,

Clicked the 'generic' one as I'm not actually sure what's on mine

It's been on from new and was a recommendation from the dealership, so just had them fit it from new not really knowing that I was getting. No complaints though.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:15 PM

I’m not sure that any x-pipe or slip-on is better than any other. A lot of personal opinion in that decision. For me, my TEC x-pipe and Trident pipes work well. I just got a PCV but haven’t had a chance to install it and schedule a dyno run yet. I’m also undecided on the air box delete mod for now.

Mike
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Iím not sure that any x-pipe or slip-on is better than any other. A lot of personal opinion in that decision. For me, my TEC x-pipe and Trident pipes work well. I just got a PCV but havenít had a chance to install it and schedule a dyno run yet. Iím also undecided on the air box delete mod for now.Mike
Some x pipes are definitely better than others, flow/size of the bends, plus merge collector type scavenging, all of which improve low/mid range grunt.

I use a meerkat on my speed twin, dyno showed 96rwhp & 83 ftlb 127mph front wheel comes up quite often with no other mods.

The meerkat pipe is freestanding, I have shown it no mercy & is rock solid.
Psychopasta likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

I used the Motone, 'cos that's what A&J supply. I would have thought the differences between X-pipes is very small compared to any X-pipe versus the cat.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
I did the TEC x and Gasser slipons. I did not get a new tune, but did do the 12 minute tune. Bike feels better than stock.

It will only void the warranty if the dealer/Triumph can say that whatever problem you may have could be caused by it. IE - if your wiring goes bad, it's unrelated to the Xpipe, so they would have to fix the wiring under warranty.

Eisen had the VH pipes with Xpipe, and I think he had stated that the VHs came alive with sound after Xpipe install.

Hi. Whatís a 12 min tune? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oatmeal769 likes this.

Ticking the box
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 AM
GPz

"What's a 12 min tune?" Are you kidding me?

It's MAGIC. That's what it is.

It makes your bike's ECU adapt perfectly to any modification imaginable, maximizes horsepower, optimizes torque, doubles tire traction, makes your wiener bigger and prevents unwanted pregnancies.

Everybody knows that. Jeez.

-GPz/Gary
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Garage
Ok. Lol. Next question. How do you trigger it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ticking the box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page